Won’t understand scratching posts!

IHaveALazyBlackCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I own a black cat, he is 10 years old, name is Toby. He has no problems apart from this. Ever since we got him (he was 16 months old at the time) he didn’t understand cat scratchers. At all. He will not touch them. He will touch the carpet (whenever he does this we say “Toby stop” and he stops.)

I bought many types, massive vertical ones, horizontal ones. I bought a cardboard one lately, I seen them be popular. I put catnip all over it, he loved it! As a bed! He lied down on it and just rolled himself. Now the catnip scent went and he is convinced it’s a seat for him, he just sits down there for a break!

any advice for my silly cat? He means well but I just need this explained in his language to him..

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking that there should be a scratching post with like 1 sq foot of carpet (replaceable) and a very heavily weighted base. The base would need to be *very* heavy, and thus it might be a bit more than a traditional post, but wouldn't it help cats like yours (and one of mine)? I've never seen such a thing and I don't know what to tell you. If I did, I wouldn't have a cat that I'm struggling with. Well, honestly my carpet is pretty tough -- as long as he isn't at it in a corner, it will take years for any damage, so I'm mostly happy I got him to mostly stop with the couch and chairs.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Perhaps he'd use throw rugs or carpet samples. Some home improvement stores periodically give away the latter, so they're something to keep an eye out for. Our last cat liked to scratch carpets, so I picked up small rugs when I saw them on clearance and put them in his favorite spots. He liked upholstered dining room or desk chairs, too. When friends or family were replacing theirs, I'd take one or two for Jamie to use so he left other furniture alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IHaveALazyBlackCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Already tried the carpet unfortunately we bought some small carpets that looked very similar to the actual fitted carpet. We put them in the same spot he scratches and he moved himself over to the fitted carpet :flail: not sure why he done that as both carpets are very similar. I would love to keep him scratching the fitted one but it’s a rented property so a big nono.