won't stay off the table or counter

jingles_my_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jingles, about 1 yr old and in my family since the end of Dec, has finally learned to stay off the counter and table, when I'm around. Now how do I get her to stay off when I'm not there to scare her down? I hate sitting at the table and seeing litter on it. Yuck. I know she loves the kitchen table because it's right by the windows, but still. I also want her off the counters so she will stay out of the cloth napkins basket, which she likes to think of as her bed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furry napkins.
I keep my clean napkins in a drawer.
Fixes that problem nicely. Or get a basket or container with a lid if there's no spare drawer.

Pull the table away from the window. Get some tall cat furniture - as tall as you can afford. Put that in front of the window. You'll then have a space for her to sit and she'll not be as concerned with the table.
Your other option is to just wipe the table down each time before eating there. (best for your health anyways)

Make sure you always keep the counters cleaned off, never have any food left where she can get into it. She may still get up on the surfaces occasionally, but they'll be boring to her so won't bother with it as much. That combined with giving her a cat tree in front of a favorite window, of course.

I don't care if mine get up there, as long as they don't get on the range top (even when it's off). They like to look out the kitchen window and I like it when one of them slips up and falls into the sink and gets a bit wet.
They can have the table, too, since we only occasionally eat there - at least someone's using it. But most importantly, I just don't want to struggle with them over this matter. It could sour our relationship a bit, and with a couple of them it could even result in them being too frightened to come into or through the kitchen (I have nervous cats).

You can try all sorts of devices intended to deter a cat. But it can be expensive (depending on what you choose and how many surfaces you need to cover), annoying since you'll have to move it to use those spaces, and there's no guarantee that a cat won't be back up there later when it's gone and you're not home.

IMO, that money is better spent towards a cat tree that will help be a solution. BTW, Walmart (not sure where you're at) has a cheap floor to ceiling tree that isn't too bad of quality. You might need to add a couple extra screws here and there but it can work.

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with S_W'ngs. Ours stays off when we are around, but will go exploring when alone. I agree that creating diversions or a more "interesting place" is a good answer. We don't leave anything out that we don't want the cats delving into.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still trying to figure out this one for myself.
I still yell at them to get down if I catch them, but as soonb as my back is turned, they're back up there, so I'm not quite sure why I bother.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katkuddler

We don't leave anything out that we don't want the cats delving into.
On that note. I've left hot wings out before - extra hot, hot wings.
Tomas got a bit of a surprise when he thought we weren't looking. He hasn't made much attempt to sneak into freshly pulled out of the oven food since.

katkuddler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

On that note. I've left hot wings out before - extra hot, hot wings.
Tomas got a bit of a surprise when he thought we weren't looking. He hasn't made much attempt to sneak into freshly pulled out of the oven food since.
On that note, there are lessons learned...the hard way...or should I say the hot way. We had a cat once upon a time we named "Mooch", because she was one. Anyway, she would do the counter thing when we weren't lookin'. Her last escapade with jumping up there was onto the stove, and into a skillet with hot oil.

I never saw her move so fast. Reminded me of the cartoons where animals run in mid air and have traction. Good news was her little footsies were just fine, it was her pride that got burned.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can go to the hardware store and get carpet protectors. Cut it to fit your counter space. When counters are not being used, place the carpet protectors nubby side up. The nubs won't hurt the kitty's paw, but he's not likely to like the experience and will learn (hopefully) that it's not a nice place to be.