Won't poop in litterbox

sunrisealamode

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help - my cat won't poop in the litter box, she always goes right outside of it. I've added an extra litter box, changed litters, used cat attract, and nothing works. The vet says nothing is wrong with her. My boyfriend says I have to get rid of her if it doesn't stop soon (this has been going on for two years), but I can't do that, no one else wants a cat that has this problem.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a bigger box? Maybe your boxes are just too small. Some cats are not contortionists and need space to hit the spot. Since you said she goes right outside of it I was thinking that might be the issue.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sunrisealamode, a few questions for you.

Are there any other pets in the home?

Where do you keep the litter boxes?

What kind of boxes are they? Open type or hooded?

What kind of litter are you using? Clumping? Other? What kind? What brand?

Are you diligently getting rid of the pee from the boxes?

Are you using plastic liners in the litter boxes?

Are the stools normal? Large or small? What's the consistency? Soft? Hard? How often does she poop? (Digestive problem can also make a cat go outside the litter box, so it's important to consider/rule out this possibility.)

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you ever tried providing 2 boxes even if their next to each.
1 for pee and one for #2. My cat would prefer that if I provided such.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I agree, you should offer her two boxes right next to eachother. I have one cat that will only pee in one box and poop in another box. Are they large and open boxes, no hoods..... I would just add that other box and see if that helps her and maybe offer a different type of litter in that second box too. I find that when I am trying a new litter in a new box, it is quite popular and gets tried by everyone!!!

jazzmin_flower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about trying a larger box? I use a Sterilite rectangular storage box only 4" high for my kitties. How about trying puppy pads in front of the box? Sticky strip puppy training pads might be what the kitty needs. Or a rubber or plastic mat of some kind.