Won't Eat Wet Food! Help!

catitudes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Recently I decided to switch both of my cats from a strictly dry diet to a wet/dry combo
I began the transition for my overweight kitty last summer.

(and then possibly wet all together in the future)!
My kitty is down to 1.5 tablespoons of dry, right before bedtime. The rest of the time is all wet. Yes, he has lost weight gradually (safely).

How can I get my cat to eat wet food? I tried mixing some in with his dry food and he just won't have it!
What proportions did you mix? My cat had eaten nothing but dry for the past 6 years, which was when he chose me as his slave. When I first gave him canned last summer, he promptly turned his nose up and walked away.

I started adding small amounts of canned Nutro Maxcat Chicken and Lamb, to his dry food. That did the trick. I followed the suggestions I read on the internet to mix 1/4 dry to 3/4 wet for a week, then do 1/2 wet and 1/2 dry for a week, then 3/4 wet and a 1/4 dry for a week, then went to all wet after that. If yours won't touch the food with 1/4 wet and 3/4 dry to start, I would try smaller amounts, say 1/8 wet to 7/8 dry. The reason I used that flavor of Nutro canned to start with, was because I heard many had success with that flavor switching dry kitties onto wet.

I have also heard cats go nuts for Fancy Feast canned. I don't buy it and wouln't feed it regularly either. However, if it would help in this transition, I would use it for a short period of time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one can for each of my cats to see what their reaction was to dry food, I mixed small amounts with a portion of their wet food! The kitten loved it, my older cat ate everything but the small ball of wet/dry food (I tried doing this for two days... the kitten ended up eating the older cats wet combo)! I tried Wellness but I was thinking of trying Nutro wet for my older cat! He was currently eating Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management Indoor Dry Formula! Ive recently been mixing his Nutro Dry with Wellness dry (the goal is to switch him over to wellness dry completely... since he wont eat wet foods) he isnt use to how small wellness food pieces are and is having a hard time with it! He loved the Nutro dry food so maybe purchasing a can of Nutro wet food is a shot?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I bought one can for each of my cats to see what their reaction was to dry food, I mixed small amounts with a portion of their wet food! The kitten loved it, my older cat ate everything but the small ball of wet/dry food (I tried doing this for two days... the kitten ended up eating the older cats wet combo)! I tried Wellness but I was thinking of trying Nutro wet for my older cat! He was currently eating Nutro Natural Choice Weight Management Indoor Dry Formula! Ive recently been mixing his Nutro Dry with Wellness dry (the goal is to switch him over to wellness dry completely... since he wont eat wet foods) he isnt use to how small wellness food pieces are and is having a hard time with it! He loved the Nutro dry food so maybe purchasing a can of Nutro wet food is a shot?
Get him a can of some of the chicken based flavors... Pm me if you want the full list