Won't eat his regular food

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the past three feedings, Blaze- my 1 1/2 yr. old tabby, won't eat his wet food. He just stands there, looks at it, and walks away. He has always eaten science diet indoor chicken wet food with just a few dry kibble pieces for crunch. I recently tried him and my other cat on nutro natural choice because I wanted grain free but the transition didn't work out well. It was only eaten a week. Long story short, diarrhea to no end. My vet suggested he go back to his old food for a time before trying another switch. I put him back on old food and it's been a about a week and now just last night, he won't eat the wet food. I got worried last night because he always eats. I gave him a handful of dry and he gobbled it up. This morning, again, looked at canned and walked away. Tried the dry so he would eat and he wolfed it down. It's so strange. I don't want him to eat just dry due to the potential problems due to the dry only diet. Should I just make him deal with the wet or go hungry for the day? He seems fine otherwise.

Oh and another thing. He never drank water while he ate canned food but today he went and drank a lot from his water bowl after eating all dry food.

Trying to figure out what these signs could mean. Is he bored with his food?

He is playing with my other cat Haze right now so he doesn't seem to be anti-social or uncomfortable.

Any thoughts?

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(1) Get sneaky: Add his favorite kibble, or another topper treat to his wet food.  You can crush it to create a powder (blender) or just plunk a few pieces here and there in his wet food.  Topper treats could include Friskies 'Party Mix', Whiskas 'Temptations', Bonita Flakes etc.   If he eats it, add a little less each week until he's treat free again, or close.

(2) Change the protein and/or brand and/or texture. Have you tried Beef, Venison, Rabbit among others? He might just need a change of pace.

(3) Change the bowl / plate etc. that food is served on. Just another attempts at changing things up.

Edit - you mentioned he's drinking plenty of water when on 100% dry.  I would say that's fantastic and if consistent, I don't see a big issue in his diet considering he's getting moisture.

Also, my little gal gave up on canned beef over a month ago and eating it almost exclusively.  Just out of the blue she stopped. Hopefully she'll try it again, but c'est la vie and for now she only accepts canned chicken or rabbit from a few brands.

Last edited:

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat is recently on 100% wet, BUT she is a kibble addict!!

Sometimes she'll look at me, and beg for some kibble, even though she knows she likes the wet food. We got into a bad habit of adding kibble on top of the wet food brands that she isn't too keen on, but, now she expects this kibble topping every time. I started to ignore her begging, and redirect her to the food dish. Within the hour, she'll cave and eat her wet meal. 

Maybe just wait it out and see how long he'll snub the wet meal, before giving him the dry food meal ;) They can be very sneaky, manipulative cats!