Wondering What To Do About Possible Stray Cat.

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have this cat that i've seen around the area lately at all hours and they have always been super friendly to me. well today when i seen the cat and decided to say hello they came right into my house. I quickly put him outside but he wanted to come right back in and has not left since. i'd open the door for him and he would just stare. he seemed really hungry so i fed him.

I don't know to do about the cat. i posted in a local lost and found pet group and i intend to make posters tomorrow. I doubt the cat is a stray, and seems farily healthy if a bit dirty. the last thing i'd want to do is hold on to someone elses cat so i'm at a loss here.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the cat inside only and feed it for now.

Ask the vet office to scan for a chip. If no chip, put up posters.

You may find the owner, or it may be that the cat has been abandoned when the owners moved away. Or the cat may be lost.

It definitely wants a home again. Will you keep it if no owner is found?

Please post a picture. Thank you for caring!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just put a loose paper collar on the cat saying to call me if someone owns it. I have been feeding the cat and it stayed here last night. if the collar brings no results ill put up posters.

Im gonna take it one step at a time. the cat seems to like me, and i'd feel bad giving it to a shelter. if i can find another home for it i may do that. if it comes down to it ill keep the cat if my landlord allows it. im just worried about vet bills since im pretty poor.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could look for a low cost vet clinic. I found a really good one and I always email them and ask the prices first. It's only $65 to neuter a male. The Rabies and Distemper vaccines were $16 each last time I checked. Anyway, good luck with the kitty, I hope you get to keep him. Please post some pics of him if you can. :)

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are now the feedbag, like it or not...when hungry, he'll (she'll?) be back. Please don't put the poor, lost thing back out...take the initiative, bring it in and do your best to find any owner. Doubtful, but you never know and always best to do the right thing. Up until you find the rightful owner....treat it as if it IS yours. No doubt a stray or turnout.

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are now the feedbag, like it or not...when hungry, he'll (she'll?) be back. Please don't put the poor, lost thing back out...take the initiative, bring it in and do your best to find any owner. Doubtful, but you never know and always best to do the right thing. Up until you find the rightful owner....treat it as if it IS yours. No doubt a stray or turnout.
I am just worried the cat has a home and i'd be keeping the cat from its rightful place. I never forced the cat outside but allowed to go out the window it was hanging at. eventually it left. I have a collar on the cat asking to be called if the owner gets it back. i would suspect the cat to come back to my place if wanted to get back in.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for feeding and caring about this kitty. It does sound either abandoned or lost, as usually strange cats don't just walk into an unfamiliar home. So I suspect (s)he'll be back. And don't be surprised if the paper collar is gone, as it will likely tear of if kitty catches it on anything.

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So the cat has been outside fora a couple hours now. I just got a call from someone saying the cat came into their house. They are also not the owner. Turns out they live next door. they are gonna call around to groups to see if anyone reported a missing cat and get back to me, and if it got no where to be claimed i will take it back.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
he's in mental distress.....desperately seeking the security of a home, caring owners and food.

My wandering, stray Princess was very willing to join the household...starving, wandering...she came right in.
Bug was a (feral) wanderer...snow, rain, shine, cold....he nastily resisted every effort to get him in. He's now a "retired" feral, indoor, very content.

I'm glad you've got the right intentions going forward!

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i really think you are right on that. all signs post to a lost or stray kitty who wants a place to stay. no center heard about the cat. I got her in my place and even got some more stuff for the cat thanks to the neighbor. im still gonna make some posters just in case the cat belongs to someone. Monday my friend is going to help me get get to the vet. I also need to get a brush to get the knots out of her fur. here is the cat as requested.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's pretty. I'd think once she's acclimated she'll groom herself more aggressively. My guys routinely groom for 20-30 minutes following dinner.
Good job, you're doin' the right thing, reading posts on successful adoptions are always heartwarming.

Remember, if not already performed...spay is a must.

Last edited:

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the cat has been grooming themself. the knot may be too big for their tounge. I was not sure on the gender but i was told by my neighbor that she is female so i'm gonna go with that until the vet can confirm it for me.

Ohgeesunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, wow. Surely someone didn't dump that beauty. She's gorgeous. :catlove:
I know right. such a precious cat and so well behaved and friendly. it is shocking to me she is likely without a home

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Cute ! You rescued a cat that may have been abandoned or lost. Perhaps the owner has died or moved away ... ?
Good for you ! I'm sure things will work out ... Kitty is in good hands again !
:kitty::sunshine::wave2: