Wondering what breed my Mithu was...

vishnu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

You may have read some of my previous posts on Mithu who passed away on the 14th of Oct this year. We always wondered what breed Mithu was and even our vet was never able to figure her out. We live in India and we don't get many of the breeds that rest of world has. I think the most common breed we have here is a short haired and tough little breed which everyone just calls "Indian cat"..I am not sure what the proper breed name is. Most of these guys are semi-feral, but make excellent indoor cats too, very tough but very loving. I think the next most common indoor bred cat in India is the Persian. I am quite confident that Mithu was neither Persian nor "Indian", though she may have been a mix of both and a few others too :). Here are some pics of her, any inputs would be appreciated...thanks so much 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a breed is, is really not what the looks are, but what the ancestry is.

I think your own guess is the best here. She was a mix of persian, - the old type with some nose (not so shortnosed as the modern show persian is),  and this local indian cat.  The persian ancestry quite recent and quite much of it.

Longhaired gene must come from both parents, as an extra point to tell here.

If there is any chance you got turkish van or turkish angora there, they may also be part of the parentage...

But please tell more about this your local Indian cat.  Start a new thread, and make sure you put in some photos.  :)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vishnu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stefanz, yes I guess it is difficult to tell breed from looks alone. We are unsure about parentage because she was picked up at a really poorly kept mass pet store which is located in the middle of one of India's biggest fresh meat markets, so we have no idea where she came from. The pet store I refer to has a lot of persians and Indian cats, and the market I refer to is teeming with 100's of Indian cats so she could well have been a mix of many or all!!

I will start a separate thread in the Indian cat, I have some pics of a few of these guys who have adopted us..!