Wondering the best way to help Mr. Jinx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrjinx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not really wearing anything different. He was doing his usual - the only thing I can think of (and it's a big guess) is that he rubbed me in a way that hurt him. I noticed the other day when I tried to pet him under his chin that he gave me a light bite, and he is really swollen under his cheeks (glands maybe, from infections). So perhaps he rubbed me and hit his own swollen area? Not really sure. Sucks though, because we were doing so well.

Of course, I immediately left the room. I should've hissed at him first maybe, so he knew I was upset, but I didn't think of it at the time because it was so shocking.

When I go back in I will be a bit more withdrawn so he understands. I'm sure he'll smell the lovely bloody/Neosporin face I have now, too. Eeeee...

He is not neutered, so maybe he got sexually confused. But it was really quick - purr purr purr ATTACK! Seconds. So strange, and SO unlike him, he's so sweet. I wish I knew what it was so I could make sure I don't (whatever) in the future, as I'd like to keep my eyeballs. Those are important.

mrjinx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today, I spent some time with Mr. Jinx and he was completely normal again. I think he knows he hurt or upset me, because when he headbutts my face now, he's being super gentle as opposed to his usual body slam!

He is also getting restless in his little room. So this morning I opened the bathroom door and he wandered a little ways through the hall. It was cute - he was constantly looking for me as he went, for reassurance. He kept coming back to me for pets and purrs, and then looked around again.

Some good news - he went over to the door he knows is associated with outside. It's the door he came in from, and it's glass, so he can completely see his old stomping grounds. I was expecting the mad pawing and digging to get back out, but he looked outside, then came back to me, and moved on to other parts of the house!

Eventually he went back in so I closed the door to his little room and thought I'd give him a break, and we'll do it all again later.

The more I think about what happened last night, the more I see it like this:

1) we were petting and loving as usual for about 15 mins

2) he was nuzzling my face with his

3)he gave my cheek a very light bite

4) I must've pulled away some or made a noise

5) He hit me with both hands and then hissed and backed away

So I think he either a)did get weird sexual issues from being so happy and not neutered or b) was trying to groom me (which he started doing yesterday) and light bites are part of that - and because I pulled away, he freaked out and thought I was rejecting him or something.

In either case, there's no sign of it today, he's back to his twitchy-tailed self. DH is sitting in with him today since he wants to come out - they're trying to hang so Mr. Jinx doesn't get nervous when he sees him in the "outside world".

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went in to spend time with him tonight and he was rubbing my face like usual, then I felt a light bite on the side of my cheek, and then he wailed on me with his claws. He then backed away and hissed and his pupils were huge, so I'm not sure what happened, but something freaked him out. In the meantime, he cut my lip, my nose, and my cheek, so I'm in a bit of pain right now. I'm not mad or anything and I'm sure he'll be totally fine once I go in again, but I have no idea what set him off - he's NEVER done anything like that before, even when he was outside. Boo.
It could be that he got over-stimulated. One of our male cats (he lives totally outside) is a total lovebug. He loves to be stroked and he purrs like a maniac when I do this. BUT, he is slightly unpredictable and I am always careful not to get him too excited. I have never picked him up or stroked his tummy.

Every cat is different and it may be that Mr. Jinx will always be slightly unpredictable. BTW, just because a cat shows you his tummy does not necessarily mean that he wants it stroked. I never touch a cat's stomach unless I am absolutely sure he won't react negatively.

Last edited:

mrjinx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
True - I think you're right. I've been with him several hours today and he's still being affectionate but he's definitely more wary. It could be that I'm more wary as well, so not quite sure.

If it is over stimulation, he may be better a little after neutering, but in any case, I think when he sees the vet I'll have them trim his nails and maybe do Soft Paws for a month or so while he's adapting to everything. I have a small pekingese who normally won't go near a cat he doesn't know anyway, because he is so frightened of being hit, but his eyes are HUGE and I need to protect them.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is over stimulation, he may be better a little after neutering
He might be, but my cat who I mentioned above is neutered and I am still careful around him. My cat was probably feral and had never been close to a human before so he has come a long way. He gets over-excited though with the attention. He very oftens shows me his tummy, but I am pretty sure he would lash out if I touched him there.

Cats are like people - some like to be hugged and touched a lot, some don't.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had the same experience with a very loving (after he trusted me) feral male tomcat. He was sweet, loving one day and then all of the sudden would lash out at me, claws and all. Once he was neutered, this behavior completely stopped after a couple of weeks. Never did that again. He is now in his forever home for over two years now and doing just beautifully. His meowmy just adores him and says he never puts a foot wrong. So until he is neutered, just be aware and try not to pet him toooooo much and get him overly reactive. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

mrjinx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing that!

I've worked with many ferals in the past, and there have definitely been very few that love cuddles and pick ups and attention. I have to say that Mr. Jinx is such a lover! He lets me do pretty much everything and purrs right through it, so hopefully that'll be similar for him.

It's funny - the only smack he's given since has been once lightly when I was leaving the room. He gives me so much BS when I leave, he hates it! So I did hiss this time, and he was in shock that I gave him some business back. It was so funny.

About ten minutes later, I went back in with food and cuddles, and there were no hard feelings. Starting to think Mr. Jinx is just a loving little diva!

On a cute note - today was the first day I let him nose my nose, which he loves to do. When he smelled my nose, he could smell my injury. He licked my nose. It was so cute.

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great story!!  Mr Jinx is one lucky little kitty and he is BEAUTIFUL!  I have a couple of black cats myself and I just love them.  There is something about their hair coat that is different.  It's silky.

You are doing all the right things...  Can't wait to read how his vet visit goes! 

Jenn

mrjinx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!

He is quite the love bug. He now sleeps on my lap every time I go into the bathroom. I'm also starting to learn the things that scare him. Opening a can of food on the floor, for example, freaks him out.

His vet visit is Wednesday AM, and the vet is coming here  - she was actually much less expensive than my usual vet, and she's coming with her assistant. She was also recommended by a good friend, so here's hoping everything goes well.

He's definitely restless to leave the bathroom now - not so much when I enter. He's happy to simply sleep on me. But when I leave, he is getting pretty demanding about leaving with me. I'm trying REALLY hard to keep him in there until Wednesday, because I don't want to make it harder for her to find him, or to treat him. The bathroom he's in is ideal because it's so small, and she can easily hold him, wrap him in a towel, etc. It would be quicker and easier for him, too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I was starting to think maybe feed him only a half portion when I enter, and place the food out of reach, and feed another half when I leave.