Wondering about pregnant cat!!

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi :) I have a cat that just turned one in April, & she decided to get out and get pregnant! She got out on May 28th, and was out for 3days 2 nights. I only noticed she was pregnant about a month ago when I went away for a week and when I came back her stomach was twice the size.. lol. Anyways, she's nearing the end of her pregnancy and she's not especially showing any signs?! She's been sleeping quite a bit lately, and yesterday was the first time she finally went in her nesting box. She's been licking her abdomen frequently, and she's still eating (not as much) but she's drinking plenty of fluids.

Just wondering if I should be worried that she's not showing all the signs yet or what?! Thanks!!!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sigh...  She could and should have been neutered 7 months or more ago.  She could also have been neutered as soon as she came back.

Cats are pregnant for 65 days from the first mating and I think it's safe to assume your cat was mated on the 28th.  That gives August 1st - yesterday - as her due date, but up to 70 days is OK which is the 5th August, next Sunday.  If you don't have kittens by Monday I'd take her to the vet.  And make sure you have your vet's details handy incase she has problems delivering her kittens.

BTW how do you know the date so precisely?  And has she been wormed?  Treated for fleas? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went back to my facebook profile to when she had gotten out cause I had posted pictures up of her to find the date, and yes she's been treated for worms and fleas both!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all cats stop eating or read the signs book, one of my breeding girls is completely normal eating right up to the birth

You have it a little easier than others since you know the date she was allowed outside.
Cats don't decide to go out and get pregnant, imagine the mess us breeders would be in if that were the case!

Last edited:

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah no kidding! I'll keep the thread updated & if I have any more concerns.. this is my first time dealing with a pregnant cat & I'm home alone for the next few days!! Lol

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Excellent that you're home, pregnant girls shouldn't be left alone for the birth. You need to be there to comfort her (my girls like firm strokes down their back in labour) and to make sure kittens are born properly, breathing and ensure the placentas come out

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anytime an unspayed girl has been let outside it's safe to assume she's going to return pregnant, best to desex her asap upon return.

Mum and the kittens can be desexed when the little ones are around 10 weeks of age, kitten should stay with their mum for 12 weeks and are best adopted out vaccinated, de-flead, wormed and neutered, so the cycle can't continue. 

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The only reason we haven't gotten her spayed was because ever since I got her as a kitten she was always too afraid to go outside, & the one (and only time) she got out was because the back door was open & she was in heat! She will most deff be getting fixed when the time comes though, I feel bad for her going through this!

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, her stomach is all hard now & it feels like the kittens are doing acrobats inside of her.. Does this mean anything?? Lol

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anytime I have noticed my pregnant fosters bellies get hard is shortly before birth. If I am remembering within 24 from when I noticed the rock hard belly to birth. I have only noticed it twice though.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens are extremely active in the days before birth, then they go quiet before birth. You will notice them "drop" into position to be born, her tummy won't be as round at the sides.

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the help!! :)

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, if I have to intervene during labour and have to cut one of the umbilical cords, how short do I cut it?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have to tear the cord make sure you do so a good inch away from the kitten. Also, it's best just to use your fingers to tear it. Make sure you give enough slack when you tear so you don't pull it off of the kitten's stomach. 

Another poster, OrientalSlave, posted this link for me in another thread. I found it very helpful and it describes this process really well: http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infosheets/breeding_from_your_cat/felineparturition.html

It sounds to me like she is showing a lot of signs of being close. No two cats are the same so they won't act the same prior to labor. Since you know when she got pregnant and your'e in the delivery window keep a close eye on her. Agreed if she doesn't have them by Monday you should call the vet just to be safe. 

Good luck with everything! 

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a hemostat and medical scissors, but dental floss for tying off works too if you are too squeamish to tear it (as I am 
)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, if I have to intervene during labour and have to cut one of the umbilical cords, how short do I cut it?
You do it as far away from the kitten as you can, and as someone else mentioned, you tear it with your fingers rather than cutting it - it bleeds far less that way.  If you cut with something sharp it needs clamping or tying first.

BTW there are big health benefits to neutering a female cat beyond preventing pregnancy.  It prevents pyometra (infection of the uterus) and greatly reduces the chances of breast cancer.  Of course it also stops calling which can range from hardly noticing to having a female that is trying to wake the whole neighbourhood and sprays all over the place.

Don't forget to consult with your vet (maybe just phone) to enquire about worming.

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today she has been in her nesting box a bit, still eating like a hog but her stomach has completely dropped! Kittens aren't very active today either so I have my fingers crossed for today!!

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens :(

impatient17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so now there's blood coming from her lady bits.. is this normal? she doesnt seem to be in any pain.. she's irritated if anything.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as there is not massive amounts of blood, it should be okay. If the blood is discolored, or smelly it can be signs of infection.