Wonder Whizzer Strikes Again!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, since getting my new bed I have been successfully able to keep Aya from whizzing on it, but since last week she has decided since she can't get access to the bed (its covered by a tarp wighted down with pillows and some plastic spikey cat deterrent thingies underneath to keep her from crawling under. So, she has decided that the next best thing is too whizz on my sofa, and one of my pillows right before bedtime.

We have 2 very clean litter boxes in two different locations with the litter that she seems to prefer in them.

Why?????

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really stinks (literally!) Clearly she's upset about something...

Perhaps it's time to confine her to a small space and begin potty training anew. Believe me, this is not something that will be easy to live with if it becomes more solidly ingrained in her behavior.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a studio apartment, no place to confine her that's humane. Even the bath is divided into a toilet closet and a shower closet.

It may already be well-ingrained in her behavior. I've been dealing with this (bed-peeing) for 6 months now.

She's on C/D. Doc said her urine looks fine now. She'll be fine for a couple weeks then have this spate of time where she really feels the compulsion to pee on my stuff. A lot of the time I catch her preparing to whizz.

She also only seems to do it when I'm home. Particularly right after I get home, I have to watch her real close until she uses (hopefully) the box.

I think it might be a dominance thing her vs. me.

What do I do about that?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What kind of litter do you use? Maybe she doesn't like it that much and prefers the softness of the bedding. There is a product called Cat Attract that really encourages them to use the litter box. I don't know if it is available there though.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a brand called Lion. It's clumping. No scent. It's got some sort of drying agent in it that sucks all the moisture out of the pee and poo clumps. Really keeps the odor down in the box. a hard thing to do here in the sub-tropics. I tried a more clay-sand-gravel type litter that was actually cheaper, has less odor and moisture control and more dust, but I got the impression that she prefers the pellets. (I filled one box up with each and tried that for a while. I also tried mixing them).

Haven't seen 'cat attract' litter here in Japan and that would be very dear to have my mom ship over. I've never seen any of the same brands of litter they have in the US although they seem to have most of the same 'types' (clumping, clay, pellet, pine...) -Do they sell just small packets of the kitty attractant stuff, and what's it called? So I can sick my mom on buying some for Aya.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They do have it as an additive in a 20 oz bottle. That still may be expensive to ship.

I'm wondering if you could use some plastic to cover the areas where she is going to discourage her from going there.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the cat attract additive. It shouldn't cost too much to send to Japan. She could empty it out into a ziploc bag and mail to you in a small flat rate box for less than $13.

The additive DOES work. When my Sheba passed last summer and I got a new kitty, my resident male Ziggy decided he'd stop using the box. Once I added the additive, he's been good to go ever since.

Good luck.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I second the cat attract additive. It shouldn't cost too much to send to Japan. She could empty it out into a ziploc bag and mail to you in a small flat rate box for less than $13..
Sending mysterious unmarked powder in a ziploc baggy through customs? Sounds like a wonderful idea! They'll probably think she's trying to smuggle in marijuana or something.

Lyrajean - I'm sure you've had your mother send plenty of stuff over. Follow the same rules for this so it doesn't get confiscated. Maybe have her add it in with some other items to make the cost worth it? Or maybe not, since they may still get suspicious of it.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Strangewings,

I ship items worldwide through my web business. I sell PILLS, POWDERS, oils, etc. I have never had anything "confiscated" or even opened and investigated in the 5 years I've been doing this. I DO ship to Japan as well. If cost is an issue, I was simply pointing out the most inexpensive way of shipping. And so what if it was "confiscated?" It isn't marijuana. No one is going to jail. She could even put the label of the jar into the package. I really didn't need your attitude!

Cally

melissaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat developed a problem similiar to this.
Seemingly out of nowhere (there were no big changes in her life to cause this), she started peeing on things to express her dislike of life in general, she especially peed on the other cat's bed and my friend's bed!
My friend took her to the vet who put her on meds for an anxiety disorder which did help a lot

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ordered some of the additive off Amazon from a third party and feliway. Customs is a concern here as they do take illegal drugs very seriously. They opened every box my mom sent for several months after she sent me some claritin pills for my allergies (she sent the over the counter variety, the stuff you have to sign for has stimulants which are illegal here -like sudafed) and she didn't distinguish on the forms. And lots of stuff is illegal that wouldn't be back home. The only way to go is to send it still sealed up in its original packaging.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Have you been able to find an enzyme cleaner there? The spots where she's gone need to be cleaned also.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, mom sends me bottles of Anti-icky-poo. Very expensive plus shipping I might add...

She did send me a cheaper version from Petsmart, I forget what it was called, but it didn't work nearly as well. Aya would go right back and sniff the same spots where she went.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

I thought I solved the sofa whizzing by removing the fabic cover and placing spike-y things down when I'm asleep -she likes to chew on them BTW.

The bed is still well-covered when I'm not in it.

But last night, or morning at about 6:30 I rolled over while sleeping and had a alrge amount of fresh pee immediately soak into my pjs -YUCK!

She has never ever peed on my bed while I am on it before.

What do I do?

Clearly something has her panties in a bunch. This morning she sat on top of the cabinet and took swipes at me and spit at me. Last night she bit me twice when I moved my arm while she was trying to sit on my lap.

koffeewitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this suggestion will help at all, but here goes... when my cats have displayed various behavior problems, I've often gotten great results by adding a couple play sessions into the day's routine. I'm sure you already play with your cat and give her affection, but sometimes having a playdate at the same time every day gives the cat something to look forward to and reassures her of your affection. The good effects of the exercise may help to improve a cat's mood and relax them, too.
Good luck!