Women only!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had the copper IUD since I was 20 (4 years) and I've never had children. Apart from passing out from the pain from the insertion, and then the first 18 hours of miserable cramping, I've had no side effects and I'm totally happy with it. When I was getting it my doctor explained that most of the common "concerns" associated with IUD's are from problems that occurred in the 70's but there have since been changes made and there are few risks.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

Have you possibly thought of getting the Implant instead?
I've been using the implant (Implanon) for years, love it - very low risk of pregnancy (over 99.9% effective), I haven't had any side effects, no monthly inconvenience, don't need to take anything daily, it just suits my lifestyle really well.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally I have to be on hormonal birth control to control the flow of my period. I have a blood disorder called ITP that further aggravates my period as well. I've been on several different pills, patches, the depo-shot and the NuvaRing.

If you are thinking about Mirena it is not recommended for women under 30 and without kids. Someone already listed the complications that can possible happen with Mirena (damage to the uterus). If you are thinking about Mirena I recommend the NuvaRing. It is a once a month thing and it works quite well. I disliked it myself but it works out if you are the kind of girl that doesn't mind tampons. NuvaRing is a ring you put inside yourself... personally I couldn't stand that but I also cannot stand tampons so yeah. Good luck figuring it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks everyone.
Contraception really is a minefield.
I love the concept of the nuva ring, I've looked that one up and it would be great, however I can't tolerate the combined hormones - I get a migraine in the break week

The implant was good, however I was bleeding for up to 6 weeks at a time, it was exhausting.
If only men really could take responsibility, (aside from condoms as I don't like them either) wh can't he have something put inside him or under his skin! I'd take it in turns, I'm not completely unreasonable!

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used the diaphragm (someone touched on it so I thought I'd add to it) You of course have to be very comfortable with your own body for starters, as like a condom, you have to put it in everytime you NEED it.

That in itself is a downer for some people.

It needs to be fitted properly, or theres a risk that it doesn't cover the cervix right and some 'swimmers' can get by it

Diaphragm = daughter #1 for me
It could have been a user error (don't think it was) or just some swimmers slipped by upon removal
All I know is there was no holes in it.

Condom = daughter #2

I CHOSE to have my tubes tied VS hubby having a vasectomy...... for several reasons but the main one being: I have a 16yr old sister due to a vasectomy.
We all love her to bits, but holy heck, talk bout a surprise for my mom who was 39 at the time..... My oldest brother is 37 then baby sis at 16.

I never wanted the IUD because of the chances of it making me unable to have children. Not worth the risk for me, as having kids were a big part of my life......

I could not take the shot/implant or the like, as I was sensitive to all but the very lowest dose of the pill. So after the diaphragm incident, I went back to the pill and was on it till I was 30 and had my tubes tied.

I have known women with various IUDs, and the only common complaint from them was very intense cramping for about a wk or so after insertion. Aside from that, complaints range from none to longer periods to more cramping on a monthly basis.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Dr has suggested the Mirena for me (as I dont want any kids, and they cant 'fix' me until I'm at least 27). Comparing the price to my monthly pill pack, I'll be saving money over the course of 5 years! I havent gotten it yet [waiting for next Dr. go around in February 2010), but I've heard good things about it from those who have it.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you have a low enough income you can get any form of contraception for free, assuming that you live near a planned parenthood.

Not that anyone wants to have low income... but it's always an option if you find that you cannot afford some of the more 'interesting' ways to protect yoursel.

Snake_Lady - If it's not too personal, can I ask if you were using any other form of protection with your diaphragm? I know that it is less effective if you use it alone.

Hearing stories of getting pregnant with condom use scares me. I am always afraid of being that .1%!

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I obtained a prescription for Mirena about a year ago, but didnt end up switching to it - I didnt have the extra money at the time to pay for it up front (was going to be about $250 my drug plan wouldnt cover). Plus, I like the birth control pills. Ive done PLENTY of research about skipping periods on it etc., and really like being able to have only a couple periods a year at a time of my choosing. I sometimes get breakthrough bleeding after about the 3rd consecutive month that lasts only one day. With the IUD, sure, I wouldnt have to take a daily pill, but Id lose that menstrual predictability Im so fond of. And after over 10 years on it, the habit of the pill is good and solid with me. I hold no grudges for being responsible for my own birth control - Im much more confident with me being in charge, vs. anxiety I would have if I had to trust a man to "take care of things".

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suffer from terrible headaches when I am on the pill so DH and I discussed our options - we had already decided that we only wanted one child - so he went and got the snip. After stopping the pill, my headaches went away and I feel so much better!