WOMEN ONLY!! (And I mean that!!)

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

K ladies.....got a question for you. And Im not trying to be gross or too personal, but I need HELP!!

Have you ever suffered from a infection?(yes that kind)

I need help curing it!! I did the over night stuff and took a Diflucan as well. I am just miserable!!

Thanks for any help you can gimme!! And feel free to PM me as well....
Diflucan should wipe out the infection very, very soon. I once used it when I had to take mega-anti-biotic pills, due to a dog bite--and I got that infection not only in the usual area, but also in the rectum. Not fun...I never knew one could get a yeast infection THERE! Anyway, they gave 1 Diflucan, and it went away pronto. Are you sure it's a yeast infection? Could it be something else? If the Diflucan doesn't help, get to the Dr. ASAP.

Also, eating (live cultures) yogurt helped me; you;d need to do this daily, not just once--esp. if you get the infections often (if so, question WHY you do--are you diabetic?) I used to sometimes apply PLAIN (not fruit, which has SEEDS) yogurt externally to the affected area--soothing, but cold.

Try soaking in a warm tub, with 1 cup of baking soda or white vinegar. (I prefer the baking soda.) This will really make it feel better; I've done it many times over the years. It helps with the itching, too.

I feel your pain! Until I started eating a low-fat, low-sugar diet 11 years ago (eating a lot of sugar can cause yeast infections, so can diabetes), I suffered from yeast infections almot constantly.

Here's hoping you get some relief SOON!

MargeCat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haave been doing some online research and finding some home remedies....they have the yogurt listed as well as honey!! I am in for some new things to try
LOL..

BTW-to anyone who asked...I used to be PRONE to get these things AT least every 4-5 mos! So I know thats what it is...same symptoms and everything. They must be hereditary because I know my mom has said she had them alot when she was younger and my sister gets them ALL the time!!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had an attack from the Yeasty Beasty - my mom and sis get them often. So, no advice just sending

P.S. With the thread titled the way it is, I am sure half the readers have been men
and they are now off their dinners

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not trying to be too personal now.......................my Mom suffered from them ALOT and I do mean ALOT.My Dad was *not altered* I guess is the best way to say it
.............had "extra skin" if ya know what I mean?
Anyways, she was told that because he didn't clean *said area* as well as he should, he was the main culprit for Mom getting and keeping them.
Maybe that is the problem for you all?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have time to read the entire 4 pages of posts, so maybe you've already been told this. One Diflucan has never been enough to clear up a yeast infection for me. I finally had a pharmacist tell me that you can take 1 a day for 5 days without it being a problem. I get a yeast infection if I even LOOK at an antibiotic, so now if I need one for anything I make sure to get a prescripton for at least 3 days worth of Diflucan.
In between times I take garlic capsules and acidopholous capsules. Having had yeast infections many times, believe me---I feel your pain. Call your dr. and get enough Diflucan to do the job. (those OTC cures never work for me, either)

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

I didn't have time to read the entire 4 pages of posts, so maybe you've already been told this. One Diflucan has never been enough to clear up a yeast infection for me. I finally had a pharmacist tell me that you can take 1 a day for 5 days without it being a problem. I get a yeast infection if I even LOOK at an antibiotic, so now if I need one for anything I make sure to get a prescripton for at least 3 days worth of Diflucan.
In between times I take garlic capsules and acidopholous capsules. Having had yeast infections many times, believe me---I feel your pain. Call your dr. and get enough Diflucan to do the job. (those OTC cures never work for me, either)
If I take diflucan, it takes way more than one for me too, same with the creams... never works on a 1 or a 3 day... sometimes a 5 will do it but usually it's 7. As far as my gyn told me, diflucan will cure a lot of them, and sometimes it'll clear up the majority of your symptoms so you feel relief, but if you've got a bad one, then one diflucan probably won't do it, and you may not see any signs of relief until a few days after you take it.. I think it depends on individual metabolism.

PID comes with more serious cramping and when I had it, sharp shooting pains right where your ovaries are... but from my understanding it's usually caused by either a bacterial or yeast infection that goes untreated for a while.

If you were on antibiotics, it's most likely to be a yeast infection, and if it's a bacterial infection instead... it's not going to do you any harm at this point to go through the motions of trying to cure a yeast infection. Make sure, though if you go to your gyn, that you haven't used creams or pills because it will skewer any tests they do. Most other VDs come with other symptoms. Particularly strong odors are a good sign that it's not yeast or bacterial. Change in color of the discharge, cramping, vomiting, nausea.. those can indicate something more serious too. If you're going to go to the gyn, call and see how long you're supposed to not use creams and such before you go for your appointment. I think it's only like 24 or 48 hours. If you think of it next time someone prescribes antibiotics, ask them to prescribe diflucan too. I think the gyn said to take it when you start to feel the effects of the infection coming on.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cata_mint

I've had it twice, once after swimming
and once after taking amoxicillin for earache. I used canasten too rosie! It REALLY works, like 24hours later and its like 'I'm free!!'. Plus it comes with cream, so you can sooth and cure at the same time.

I don't understand how the 'good bacteria' thing works since stomach acid is strong enough to kill bacteria and is one of the reasons why we have it, so surely it all dies??
Excessive moisture will cause them, especially if you continue to wear clothing that is damp... perfumed soaps, douches, wet wipes.. non-cotton underwear..

As far as the stomach acid.. I don't know exactly how that works either but they're caused when the balance of yeasts are affected.. iow.. if you have 50 good yeast and 50 bad yeast.. (the numbers are assuredly off..).. and you take antibiotics, it kills off the 50 good yeast, then you've got a yeast infection. At least that was more or less how it was explained to me. I don't know how the "good yeast" from yogurt gets through your digestive system and to the appropriate place, though. Hehe, I just know it's supposed to work. Antibiotics time is about the only time I eat yogurt.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Try soaking in a warm tub, with 1 cup of baking soda or white vinegar. (I prefer the baking soda.) This will really make it feel better; I've done it many times over the years. It helps with the itching, too.
I second this. I had a bad one last year and lukewarm baths with white vinegar were my saviour! I had the big jug of vinegar in the bathroom for days. BF's friends were like "why is there vinegar in your bathroom?" He just said we were doing some "cleaning"

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leli

I second this. I had a bad one last year and lukewarm baths with white vinegar were my saviour! I had the big jug of vinegar in the bathroom for days. BF's friends were like "why is there vinegar in your bathroom?" He just said we were doing some "cleaning"
I have been searching my house high and low for vinegar!!
I know we have some!!! Arghghg.....meanwhile... I think I will try the honey trick!!

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~HAHA I just had 2 giggle at the vinegar thing...my kiddoes would be like "Hey Mom R We Cookin Collard Greens in the Bathroom?" haha

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I haave been doing some online research and finding some home remedies....they have the yogurt listed as well as honey!! I am in for some new things to try
LOL..

BTW-to anyone who asked...I used to be PRONE to get these things AT least every 4-5 mos! So I know thats what it is...same symptoms and everything. They must be hereditary because I know my mom has said she had them alot when she was younger and my sister gets them ALL the time!!
You are married and sexual active. Your husband is probably reinfecting you. You both need to be treated at the same time. Men can and do get yeast infections

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

You are married and sexual active. Your husband is probably reinfecting you. You both need to be treated at the same time. Men can and do get yeast infections
My gyno told me that before. I kept getting it over and over again. My DH never got treated and it just went away.

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had those types of infections a few times. I refuse to take any type of medicine so when I went to the doctor for it the first time to get a diagnosis I told him I wanted to treat it naturally. He told me the yogurt trick but said not to just apply it externally but to get it inside your self as well. I am not meaning to just eat it, I mean insert it in. He said to eat at least three cups a day, put yogurt on a pad and change it every couple of hours, and here is where it gets odd, take a tampon and pull ib back in the applicator so there is a bit of space at the top, fill that space with yogurt and insert the whole thing. Change it every few hours. He said you can fill entire tampon tubes with yogurt and freeze them but that can be a bit to cold. I trid both methods, the frozen one was almost unbareable but the first method worked. It took about 3 days but it was gone. He also told me about the vinegar in the bath trick. I did that every day just to stay clean. The only downside was I started to smell like vinagar.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KarmasMom

I have had those types of infections a few times. I refuse to take any type of medicine so when I went to the doctor for it the first time to get a diagnosis I told him I wanted to treat it naturally. He told me the yogurt trick but said not to just apply it externally but to get it inside your self as well. I am not meaning to just eat it, I mean insert it in. He said to eat at least three cups a day, put yogurt on a pad and change it every couple of hours, and here is where it gets odd, take a tampon and pull ib back in the applicator so there is a bit of space at the top, fill that space with yogurt and insert the whole thing. Change it every few hours. He said you can fill entire tampon tubes with yogurt and freeze them but that can be a bit to cold. I trid both methods, the frozen one was almost unbareable but the first method worked. It took about 3 days but it was gone. He also told me about the vinegar in the bath trick. I did that every day just to stay clean. The only downside was I started to smell like vinagar.
I know-the yogurt thing is kinda odd, but hey if it works, I would try it!!!
I am feeling a bit better this morning(YAY!)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL..

Have you been tested for diabetes? I know that one sign of diabetes is frequent yeast infections.

Anyhoo, yes, the overnight stuff does not help...at least for me. I always use the Monostat 3 day treatment...the one with the cream, not the oval egg. The formula in the egg doesn't work for me at all. I think the one that does work is tri...errr...can't remember.

Good luck! If it doesn't go away in the next 2 days (or show signs of relieving) then go see a doctor. It may be too far for home remedies.