With home cooked, if you slow cook and separate the meat into small pieces can the cats digest this

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm considering grinding food also (cooked- before or after) as my kitty has a sensitive digestion. Can food that is not ground also be digested fairly well? I read a thread on here I can't find now of someone whose cat had diarhea  and then she fed him a cooked beef recipe and he did much better. I don't think she ground the meat. Thanks for any help.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't see that grinding would be necessary. There are two reasons (as I understand it) for grinding raw food - firstly, to safely break down the bones (some are too big to be easily eaten whole, and some cats don't take well to eating whole bone - not to mention the mess it can make), and secondly, to ensure even blending of meat and supplements throughout the whole batch. Grinding isn't a requirement for digestibility - consider 'frankenprey' (aka prey model) raw feeding.

With cooked meat bones aren't an issue as they're not present, and its perfectly possible to get an even blend of ingredients by using meat cooked and shredded in the way you describe.

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I would guess that ground might be more digestible due to the increased surface area exposed to gastric juices. But I'm not personally aware of anyone who has said their cat seemed to have trouble digesting whole meat chunks but didn't have a problem with ground meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Columbine

Oh, okay. Cheers for that. I see what you mean. I suppose it's because I'd gotten used to canned pate type foods and just thought it would be easier to digest with small pieces. But then again it's more normal for a cat to have pieces as you say. And I'm not doing raw so yes, I don't need to worry about bones or anything. I think I'm going to try someone's advice on here and start with chopped up pieces in my food processor and take it from there. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@mschauer

Okay, that's really good to know. It really is probably more to do with the ingredients that he was sensitive to (Carageenan and MSG I'm highly suspicious of for giving him allergic reactions) than the form of the meat. I was giving him food with a lot of gel / jelly type stuff (Weruva) that I think he might have been reacting to also. Thank you.