Wisdom Teeth?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I did that too. I always threw up after surgery until fairly recently the docs figured out how to control my nausea (get enough surgery and they figure it out...). I threw up mostly blood though after my wisdom teeth surgery
It was so gross.

And trust me - throwing up after open heart surgery is worse than throwing up after getting wisdom teeth out!!!
You win! LOL

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I did that too. I always threw up after surgery until fairly recently the docs figured out how to control my nausea (get enough surgery and they figure it out...). I threw up mostly blood though after my wisdom teeth surgery
It was so gross.

And trust me - throwing up after open heart surgery is worse than throwing up after getting wisdom teeth out!!!
What did they give you? Zofran (ondansetron) works well for me because it acts on the vagus nerve and doesn't interact with many other drugs (due to how it's broken down). I really should see about getting a refill of that sometime even if it is a little expensive.

In my case I was vomiting about 4 and half to 5 hours after surgery, I barely made it home from the hospital in fact. That's what I got for taking percocets 30 minutes before I left, though.
It took me a day to realize it was definitely the painkillers and not the anesthesia like the nurse and doctor suggested on the phone.

Momofmany - Women usually do. After all, the species wouldn't have made it if women were wimps!

I'm really not looking forward to getting my wisdom teeth out, and this thread isn't encouraging me. I had planned to a few months ago but had to put it off due to all the other health stuff that popped up. Lets hope when I do get them out I don't need antibiotics! I'm not supposed to take them anymore unless absolutely necessary.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What did they give you? Zofran (ondansetron) works well for me because it acts on the vagus nerve and doesn't interact with many other drugs (due to how it's broken down). I really should see about getting a refill of that sometime even if it is a little expensive.
Now I get lots of Zofran
I got a huge supply of Zofran last year - they gave me a prescription for a heap of tablets, so got a bunch of them for $10 - woohoo! They've come in handy for my other surgeries since.

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got dry sockets and the best relief by far was when the dental surgeon stuffed the sockets with gauze and somesort of clove oil. It was instant relief, better than the Tylenol 3.

Also, some dentists don't mention the importance of using a water syringe to clean out the sockets of food in the later weeks of healing. Very important, especially if you value having nice smelling breath!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Are they being all removed at once, and/or under anesthetic? I think that may be why, if so.

I had all 4 erupt as teeth, not impacted. They grew in straight (the dentist said I had a "big mouth"!
). However, 3 eventually got cavities in them, and had to be removed. It wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was one of the easiest dental procedures I ever had. (This is due to them being erupted, not impacted. All he had to do was pull them; it took a bit longer as they were so far back.) I didn't have them all done at once.

Just remember to strictly follow the home-care instructions to the letter! You don't want dry-socket. You can't eat, drink, smoke, or spit for awhile (think it's 30 minutes???) afterwards, and you must let a blood clot build, and not disturb it, and change the gauze as instructed.

Good luck!

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad to see you all you survived wisdom tooth extraction.. I feel so out of place here because when i had my lower wisdom teeth pulled in 2001 i came out with nerve damage for life.. That day changed my life forever.. What i know now about wisdom tooth extraction is i wish i had kept mine forever.. and i wouldnt have a painful numb tongue..