Wisdom Teeth

fred&nermal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Use the plastic syringe, as the smell of stuck food back there is disgusting if you don't clean the sockets gently after a few days.

I got dry sockets, which the dentist relieved with packed in guaze soaked in clove oil which he changed every couple of days. The clove oil worked like a charm.

I was on the birth control pill at the time which they suspected may have caused my dry sockets. Also, I went back to work too soon as i felt fine. I should have given myself 4 or 5 days off, which may have avoided me the dry sockets.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had all of mine out but not at the same time. I had 2 out at the dentists (numbing injections then just yanked them out - I had it done in my lunchbreak and went back to work), 1 out under sedation at the clinic (it was at an angle and not easy to get out hence the need for sedation) and took one day off work, then the 4th was taken out at the dentist while I had a filling done (again a lunchtime appt and straight back at work). I didn't have any problems with pain or after care. Just a bit sore for a few days. Having all 4 out at once will be worse, of course, but it shouldn't be too bad.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 17 yrs old (17 yrs ago
) when I had mine extracted.

They were impacted, growing forwards (not 'up'), and pushing my other teeth outta whack. After all the surgeries and braces and dental he_l I went through, the wisdom teeth HAD TO come out or else my teeth would have been pushed all out of whack again.

It was a long time ago and I'm sure things change... I was put under anestethic (sp) and oh boy does that suck. It sucked I guess because it was my first time being put 'to sleep'. I had a rough time coming out of it and barfed all over the place. But I had a weak tummy back then and, I think they overdosed the stuff or something. Scrawny lil thing like me with all those drugs, didn't work... I was uber-nauseated!

The pain was kinda rough, but just ask for Vicodin or some wonder-painkiller like that. Vicodin is great for numbing 'anything'. I used it after my carpal tunnel surgery, and I know teeth are different from wrists, but it surely took the pain away!

And the dry socket thing... if you smoke, quit now. Don't go near cigarettes. It will suck big time if you get dry sockets. Owwie!

Also your face might swell out. Cheeks might get a little "chipmunky". Mine did! I had cherubic cheeks back then anyways but oh boy did I look super-cherub by the time the swelling was in high gear.

Good luck, don't sweat it! Dentists and oral surgeons aren't near as evil as they used to be.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had the one behind your upper canines on both sides pulled and I still have to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth yanked out soon. They're getting too close for comfort to my nerve stems in my bottom jaw. They've all already came through and don't hurt much except when I eat popcorn, which seems to aggravate them for some weird reason.
I was told by my dentist, who removed the top teeth behind my canines for my braces, to use ice packs; 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, not directly because of your skin but to use a washcloth in between. And also be very careful when using a straw! Even though it's the easiest way to 'eat', it makes it that much easier to dislodge the clot and get a dry socket because of the sucking motion. Frankly, I would rather wear a bib than to get dry socket because that hurts soooo bad!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still so scared about getting them out. He told me that one of them is going to be hard to get out and he has to chip away at it. I think that is mostly what is scaring me. Also, the fact that you can have permanent numbness in your lips after. He also said that he's never actually had anyone have that though.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I've had the one behind your upper canines on both sides pulled and I still have to get all 4 of my wisdom teeth yanked out soon. They're getting too close for comfort to my nerve stems in my bottom jaw. They've all already came through and don't hurt much except when I eat popcorn, which seems to aggravate them for some weird reason.
I was told by my dentist, who removed the top teeth behind my canines for my braces, to use ice packs; 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, not directly because of your skin but to use a washcloth in between. And also be very careful when using a straw! Even though it's the easiest way to 'eat', it makes it that much easier to dislodge the clot and get a dry socket because of the sucking motion. Frankly, I would rather wear a bib than to get dry socket because that hurts soooo bad!!!
Don't use a straw at ALL! Don't even think about using a straw! You should be careful enough not to even use one. That causes dry sockets like the other posters have stated.

I have to have mine out. I'm just waiting until my insurance kicks in from the office in a month. I'm scared too but you will feel much better once you have them out!
Just my 2 cents......

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Don't use a straw at ALL! Don't even think about using a straw! You should be careful enough not to even use one. That causes dry sockets like the other posters have stated.

I have to have mine out. I'm just waiting until my insurance kicks in from the office in a month. I'm scared too but you will feel much better once you have them out!
Just my 2 cents......
I agree! Your dentist will probably tell you not to use a straw, or make sucking motions while etaing, etc, until the clot heals. Mine told me this.