Wisdom teeth pulled?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HappyHendrix

what is dry socket?
To my understanding, dry socket is when the clot that protects the exposed nerves in the gums and aveolar bone is not there. It is essentially a bone infection (or can lead to it). I'm not sure why exactly its called dry socket, but I know it is very painful.

Dry socket is the reason you should not drink out of a straw and should follow your doctor's orders explicitly after a tooth is removed.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 22, and mine have been coming in for the past year now. I have both of the top ones, but the bottom ones are SO painful coming in. Now I know how babies feel when they have their whole mouth full of teeth coming in!
My bottoms are coming in crooked, so I'll have to get them pulled.... when I get the cash and the guts to go thru with it!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My top wisdom teeth were "floaters" They would come in with all the pain, heal and then recede BACK into my gums. The process would begin again with all the pain and such. This started at about 16. The bottom were impacted. I had all 4 pulled at 17.

On a funny note, I had a baby tooth until age 48 when I had surgery that loosened it to where it finally fell out! (the tube that they put down your throat loosened it) At 10 the permanant tooth started coming in high on my gum. We had the choice to either pull the baby tooth and I would need braces to pull the tooth into position or have the permanant tooth removed. We chose that route since we couldn't afford braces.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Y'all are making me glad I still have mine and I intend on keeping them. God gave them to me and they aren't bothering me...so I see no reason why I should have them yanked out. (I should add that the military routinely makes it mandatory to remove everyone's wisdom teeth....don't know how I escaped that for 7 years)

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 16 or so when I had mine surgically removed before the root grew in. I was knocked out and did come to slightly during the surgery, but not enough to care, just enough to remember. I could not open my mouth properly for about a month afterwards. The first night home I had such a dry mouth and managed to look at my tongue and it was caked with blood, yuck! Then I had cream of mushroom soup a couple days later and looked in the mirror and though I had a piece of mushroom stuck in my teeth, but it was a stitch! I almost passed out when I realized I had been trying to scrape it off. Ooooh it was so creepy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happyhendrix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man. This stuff sounds like it hurts. I am gonna try to keep my teeth for as long as possible.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine removed when I was 18, and it wasn't that bad. Now, I nearly died the month before from an allergic reaction to anti-biotics when I was in the hospital, so perhaps mine is not a fair comparison.