Winter Snow Hurricane

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is so wild! Apparently the system is just going to sit here and spin around for a few days after weakening - but there are these "tight bands" that will bring snow. For the last two hours, it's been bright and sunny - then like a snap, it's dark and snowing - and I mean at a rate of like 1-2" an hour! Then 20 minutes later, it'll be bright and sunny again!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband's supposed to be flying back to California from New York tonight. United has cancelled all their flights it seems, but he's flying Virgin who are still flying, they're just delayed. At the moment their flights have 2 hour delays, so he'll be getting in at 12:45am

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

This is so wild! Apparently the system is just going to sit here and spin around for a few days after weakening - but there are these "tight bands" that will bring snow. For the last two hours, it's been bright and sunny - then like a snap, it's dark and snowing - and I mean at a rate of like 1-2" an hour! Then 20 minutes later, it'll be bright and sunny again!
Sort of the same in Manhattan today. The sunny spots were really weird. I went out grocery shopping again around 3:30 and saw blue sky! I came out of the store and it was snowing again!

It's pretty cool, though. I opened one of my windows a bit, where the snow was piled on the outside sill - which is weird, being on the 23rd floor. Larry was there, I pointed out the snow, got a bit in my hand and brought it in. He kept sniffing it and then licked it up when it melted. He's fascinated by these big flakes, too!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sick of snow. I think if I see another flake I am going to puke
I can't remember the last time I saw the sun or the bare ground. I have piles of snow in my drive that are as tall as I am (I am 6' 3"). All that was done with a shovel too, because my 25 year old snow blower decided to give up.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I graduated from college, I took a teaching job in Hamburg, PA. Big change from Texas, but I'm from Colorado, originally, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

However, in January of 1977, our third year there, there was an unusual weather system that caused it to snow EVERY day during that month. The temperature never got above freezing for the whole month, and the sun did not shine through blue sky for a single second during that month.

By the end of the month, we were tired enough of it that by the end of February, I had arranged for a job back in Texas! That's a move I've never regretted...

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1977 was also the year of the big blizzard. Makes what we have been having a piece of cake. My whole state was shut down during and after that storm. There was a truck driver (tractor trailer) that was found a couple days later buried under a snow drift. The snow was that high. Someone spotted the CB antenna sticking out from under the snow. If I recall, that was also the year that Miami Florida saw snow. Of course, we loved it as a kid, because we had no school for a few days in a row.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, I live in NJ and we are having more snow this year than I can remember ever having before. It has been one storm after another. We just cleared out of the last one and the temps are above freezing today so the snow is melting, thank goodness. We are supposed to get yet another storm next Wednesday but don't know if it will be rain or snow, I'm hoping just rain.

vampcow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We got slammed where I live! I heard we got 2 feet of snow. I am lucky I got not one but TWO snow DAYS!! So I got to stay home with the kitties through it all and just watch as people got stuck on the hill outside my apartment which prompted DH and I to run outside with our shovels and help dig the stuck cars out. Moo watched the snow and TIlly was afraid of it. We still have alot of down trees and THANKFULLY we didn't lose power but i know alot of people did including sillyitaliangirl.

I learned my lesson about driving in the snow with bad tires on Tuesday when a surprise storm had me stuck on the entrance ramp to the highway and my parents had to come and dig me out. THankfully they got my car out and I ended up spending the night there much to tilly and moo's dismay.

AND my mom just told me that there is another storm expected for this week.