Winter shelter

morningrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One block shy of Crazyville, West Virginia
Here is the dog house I got for my feral family. This will be my first winter caring for ferals, and I have been worrying already. The house sits in a corner of my back porch (I have turned it towards the corner to keep more air away from the entrance... it also has the flap door, and I stuffed it full of straw. They seem to have no problem going in it, so I hope it keeps them warm.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks good!! I do have one suggestion because I used an upside down large dog crate last year as my shelter. I totally surrounded the inside and made a floor with 1 1/2" insulating foam. Measured and cut it and used silicone to glue it all together inside of the shelter. I also used double insulation for the front door and cut a 6" hole for the entrance. It would be a bit more work for you, but the insulation is cheap from the hardward supply stores. You could also stuff much more straw in there when it gets colder. They will just burrow into it, the cats love that to surround themselves in the straw.

I live in the Chicago area and they are predicting this winter to be record breaking in the amount of snow accumulation
..... It is SO hard to care for feral's during the frigid months, meaning, hard on our hearts
. I do worry greatly about them and feel so bad about them when it is so dang cold outside

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
That looks great! I am sure they'll appreciate it!

Are there such thing as a safe outdoor heaters for nights?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Draco

That looks great! I am sure they'll appreciate it!

Are there such thing as a safe outdoor heaters for nights?
Yes there are
. They are small outdoor heating pads. You can look them up on-line, or buy them at Petsmart, a Farm and Fleet, Tractor Supply Co., or some store similar to those. They are great and you can put them under the straw, they are perfectly safe. I have used on every year. Mine has lasted for three years now.
Here is an example:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/product...utm_medium=cse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morningrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Looks good!! I do have one suggestion because I used an upside down large dog crate last year as my shelter. I totally surrounded the inside and made a floor with 1 1/2" insulating foam. Measured and cut it and used silicone to glue it all together inside of the shelter. I also used double insulation for the front door and cut a 6" hole for the entrance. It would be a bit more work for you, but the insulation is cheap from the hardward supply stores. You could also stuff much more straw in there when it gets colder. They will just burrow into it, the cats love that to surround themselves in the straw.

I live in the Chicago area and they are predicting this winter to be record breaking in the amount of snow accumulation
..... It is SO hard to care for feral's during the frigid months, meaning, hard on our hearts
. I do worry greatly about them and feel so bad about them when it is so dang cold outside
You would add more insulation? It is an insulated dog house that I bought. Just wondering. I have more straw for it as it gets colder, I was trying to ease them in at first this was the 2nd day, and the door hadn't even arrived yet.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by morningrl

You would add more insulation? It is an insulated dog house that I bought. Just wondering. I have more straw for it as it gets colder, I was trying to ease them in at first this was the 2nd day, and the door hadn't even arrived yet.
Yes, I would insulate
. The picture you showed is a plastic dog crate. That is not insulated, just plastic. If you measure and cut the insulation and install on the inner walls, back, side, top and bottom, it will be much warmer.
Here is a link and helpful article about insulating dog crates and rubbermaid shelter's, the second picture shows what I am trying to describe to you.
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_...WINTER_SHELTER

But if you can't, that is alright too. Either way, they have a nice shelter and just stuff it full of straw when the brutally cold temps arrive. Your kitty looks very content and happy sitting in the shelter too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morningrl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Yes, I would insulate
. The picture you showed is a plastic dog crate. That is not insulated, just plastic. If you measure and cut the insulation and install on the inner walls, back, side, top and bottom, it will be much warmer.
Here is a link and helpful article about insulating dog crates and rubbermaid shelter's, the second picture shows what I am trying to describe to you.
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_...WINTER_SHELTER

But if you can't, that is alright too. Either way, they have a nice shelter and just stuff it full of straw when the brutally cold temps arrive. Your kitty looks very content and happy sitting in the shelter too
I don't mind adding anything, but it specifically said "Petbarn 3 Insulated Dog House", it isn't a travel crate. I only bought it because it said it was insulated. Anyway, I will look into adding foam, I also thought about using the heavy duty plastic sheeting to wrap around the table legs to add an extra wind barrier, around the outside legs not all of them. With all four cats in there hopefully that will add body heat to the mix. I also read something about using an old pool solar cover to add warmth.. have you ever tried that? Luckily for us, it get's cold here, but not as cold as where you are.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought it looked like a regular dog crate, but must be mistaken. I have not looked into or seen the insulated dog houses before and I am sure that will be a great winter cat shelter

Yes!! I was just thinking about mentioning to you about the pool solar covers. I have not used one, but know of a lady who does and swears by them. Scroll down on the following, I think the last paragraph. The shelter needs to be in direct sunlight, I think.

http://urbancatleague.org/Shelters.html

Covering the table is a great idea too. You have a nice location for your shelter
, lucky kitties

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to agree with Feralvr that it looks like just a normal plastic dog house. I'd add in the insulation, a little extra never hurts.
They often sell basic plastic dog houses as insulated, but having used some of them they are not as warm as the home-made (truly) insulated dog houses we have.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have one of the heated pads I found on Amazon. Shadow loves it. Today is a rainy, windy and raw day. It is not even 40. Shadow is outside on the deck under the awning sleeping on the love seat with the heated pad.