Winter Coat Or Adult Coat?

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my kitty in April last year and she had a long coat then, but now she's a little fluffball! I just realized how much fluffier she looks the other day when I looked at a picture I took of her on the day I brought her home. The shelter said she was one year old, so now she's almost two years, and I was wondering if this fluff is here to stay as her adult coat?

I live in Minnesota and it's been a cold winter, but she's a strictly indoors cat so she isn't exactly exposed to the cold. Could it still be just a winter coat?

I've attached pictures !

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if she had a shave or they used something like a Furminator on her at the shelter to cut back her coat. Often long hair cats get huge mats if not regularly groomed so maybe they had to clean her up. She looks very beautiful and regal with that long coat.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not an expert on long coats; but she seems to look how my mother's cat does during the winter. She gets quite a "mane" and then it tones way down in the spring and summer. I don't really remember her coat being too much different when she was a kitten. She was an older kitten when she came to them; but not a year yet. She's 13 now; so that was quite a while ago. I can't find any pictures from back then on this computer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh wow!! That is such a drastic change between the seasons!!

I'm crossing my fingers that Florine's fluffy coat is gonna stick around, I think she looks so cute!! But I guess I'll see come spring :)

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd go with a fluffy winter coat also then less so in summer! Although Scraggles never fully returned to having the short hair in that photo that he had as a stray when he first arrived (my guess is better diet?), there is still a considerable difference between his summer and winter coat!