Window watchers?

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone worry about their kitty pushing out their window screens? I am absolutely paranoid that Storm will get a burr up her hiney and try to escape through an open window. Am I justified in this worry, lol? She LOVES sitting in the living room and kitchen windows and though they feel secure to me I can't help but worry. Anyone want to put my mind at ease??

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are easy enough to push out I would worry. I've seen mine push it out....on the 3rd floor! Someone here suggested using duct or electrical tape to secure the screens. Ugly yes, but well worth the peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are not easy to push out, they're quite a pain in the rear to remove actually. There is one screen upstairs that is easy to push out but I don't leave that window open enough for her to climb into it, and when it gets very hot this summer I'm going to put a fan into it so she shouldn't be able to have access to it. I'm just a paranoid worry wort I guess.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya's into shredding screens. Or was, I think she's finally fingured out taht she's nto as light as she was when she was a kitten and can't scale them. She just rips holes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you own your home? If so you can add some thin slats across the bottom and top of the screen to ease your mind.

Duct tape might work too, but the slats might give you a better sense of security.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have pet safe window screens, if you consider changing it... Mine are made of metal and have locks on all corners - very sturdy and safe... Also quite easy to install as you just twist the locks into place.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Do you own your home? If so you can add some thin slats across the bottom and top of the screen to ease your mind.

Duct tape might work too, but the slats might give you a better sense of security.
No, unfortunately we are renting. Out windows are very secure, I guess I'm just paranoid, I went around pushing screens the other night,
to see how secure they were and I couldn't budge them without significant force. DH got locked out the other day and had to cut the screen to get in so I think we're ok,

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am actually paranoid. I live on the 23rd floor!
I'm always afraid Larry will see a bird land on the outside sill (it's been known to happen) and go flying across the room and try to get it by crashing into the screen. How's that for paranoid?!

I don't think it would ever happen, but I make sure I close the windows down enough when I leave, so it would be impossible for him to attack anything on the other side with a flying leap.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have claw proof screening. My DH also puts screws in from the outside for that extra protection.

This was triggered a few years back when a new cat I had rescued pushed out the screen from a new window my husband had put in. I went back to the room they are in and the window was wide open!! I had 7 indoor cats in that room and panicked so bad, I couldn't remember how many cats I had. I had to call DH and ask "how many cats do we have?". I was a mess!!

Luckily, only 2 decided to exit through the window and I was able to catch them again. I think I aged 20 years in 15 minutes!!

So that is when he screwed all screens in.

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

We have claw proof screening. My DH also puts screws in from the outside for that extra protection.

This was triggered a few years back when a new cat I had rescued pushed out the screen from a new window my husband had put in. I went back to the room they are in and the window was wide open!! I had 7 indoor cats in that room and panicked so bad, I couldn't remember how many cats I had. I had to call DH and ask "how many cats do we have?". I was a mess!!

Luckily, only 2 decided to exit through the window and I was able to catch them again. I think I aged 20 years in 15 minutes!!

So that is when he screwed all screens in.
That's a great idea, if we didn't rent I would probably do that. But you know I was just thinking now I've had a cat all my life (well since I was like 5) and never worried about the windows before...why start now?? lol, things are so much different when you move out and have your 'own' house!