Willy might have cancer / high-grade lymphoma Treatment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Because it's not an insignificant expense ($50-60), I am hoping this is a good sign? Maybe I should see what happens during the day first before I go for that.
It's a medication I'd strongly recommend you have on hand. Especially for a senior with health problems. A cat not eating for a prolonged period can lead to other health problems.

It's also very easy to apply. Glove up. Squirt some on the box. rub it onto the glove. rub it into the cat's ear. Much less traumatic than pilling or syringe feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a medication I'd strongly recommend you have on hand. Especially for a senior with health problems. A cat not eating for a prolonged period can lead to other health problems.
I get that, but it also has a shelf-life.

Believe me, I'm going to be watching and worrying about what he eats today, and will act on the best option today. I'm not going to let this go.

I am just in a situation where I'm having to save up, borrow, etc. for each chemo treatment, so during this whole process, I will be taking small risks as I might wait just a little bit longer before springing on paying another $60 for something. It's just the nature of this whole thing. Constant stress while watching my cat's every move, then constant stress while factoring in all the finances.

Given that Willy ate a bunch of kibble this morning, I'm going to see how he does during the day before picking it up. I have about 6 hours where I will be home monitoring him before my vet's office closes.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Small update: he ate a big handful of kibble this morning, and I have not yet picked up or administered the mirtazapine.

Because it's not an insignificant expense ($50-60), I am hoping this is a good sign? Maybe I should see what happens during the day first before I go for that.

I will also describe his latest eating habits that I see today, to my vet, before buying the mirtazapine. So they can advise me on that vs. an anti-nausea med.
Right ,as you should...... glad he ate well..... low sodium broth is good & tuna water( not oil) to keep him well hydrated as well

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the consistency of his vomit. Is it a clear liquid?
During most of Willy's life, he would vomit shortly after eating, which I determined was due to eating too fast. At that time, the vomit was yellowish with almost-whole pieces of kibble in it.

When I switched him to a mostly-wet-food diet, the vomit was less frequent, but still common. And it was yellowish but mushier.

When vomiting at night over the last several months (prior to chemo) the vomit was happening hours after eating, so it wasn't due to eating too fast. Like in the middle of the night, 5-6 hours after his last meal. The vomit was always yellowish, but with some amount of clear liquid with it. Occasionally, it would be mostly clear liquid, but that was rarer.

When he vomited the day after chemo, it was more yellow-brown in color, and liquid/gritty. I didn't find that vomit until it had partially dried, however.

He actually has not vomited at all since the morning after his chemo dose.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
During most of Willy's life, he would vomit shortly after eating, which I determined was due to eating too fast. At that time, the vomit was yellowish with almost-whole pieces of kibble in it.

When I switched him to a mostly-wet-food diet, the vomit was less frequent, but still common. And it was yellowish but mushier.

When vomiting at night over the last several months (prior to chemo) the vomit was happening hours after eating, so it wasn't due to eating too fast. Like in the middle of the night, 5-6 hours after his last meal. The vomit was always yellowish, but with some amount of clear liquid with it. Occasionally, it would be mostly clear liquid, but that was rarer.

When he vomited the day after chemo, it was more yellow-brown in color, and liquid/gritty. I didn't find that vomit until it had partially dried, however.

He actually has not vomited at all since the morning after his chemo dose.
So Willie often regurgitated his food which is not uncommon for cats that eat too fast ..what you've seen more recently is actual vomit....

It's really good he has held down what he is eating-----I was going to say " keep it up Willie," ---- no," keep it down baby"----- Blessings pour down on lil Willie,I'm praying he continues to do better and better

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thursday 11/2 update (almost 72 hours after chemo):

I posted about his appetite being better today, without any drugs being introduced.

Still no poop, but I'm hoping to see one soon based on the fact he is eating more. Still not eating like his normal self, but he's making more of an effort.

Also, what is making me most happy is that I am SURE one of his masses (the biggest one, under his ear) is smaller today than it was yesterday. I swear, I am not just imagining it and being overly hopeful. I can feel a change. I have been obsessively feeling them every day, for objective things like the distance between the border of the mass and the edge of his ear, etc. And today I am feeling differences in those objective pseudo-measurements.

My oncologist also told me that if he responds, the masses should not only get smaller, but "squishier." I can't tell definitively yet, but I am starting to think that they are a little more pliable when I push on them (they were rock-hard before chemo).

I am always afraid to be too optimistic, but today I feel much more optimistic than I did yesterday.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, what is making me most happy is that I am SURE one of his masses (the biggest one, under his ear) is smaller today than it was yesterday.
Correction:

Both masses are smaller. The smaller mass of the two (the lower one, on his neck/chest) actually has had the most notable reduction between yesterday and today.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both masses are smaller. The smaller mass of the two (the lower one, on his neck/chest) actually has had the most notable reduction between yesterday and today.
I wish I could actually take pics and show you all the size of these masses as he progresses in his treatment. But they wouldn't come out on-camera in any way that would be useful (when I take pictures of his neck area, fur blocks most of what you could see).

I want to share all details of what happens with him, good or bad, but I don't know how to show, or even measure, the size of his tumors. I have taken a million pictures of him over the last several weeks, however, and some of them show the bulge that appeared on the left side of his head (when you look at his face from the front). I will look through them and see if I can create a progression of photos that shows how its size changed over time.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I could actually take pics and show you all the size of these masses as he progresses in his treatment. But they wouldn't come out on-camera in any way that would be useful (when I take pictures of his neck area, fur blocks most of what you could see).

I want to share all details of what happens with him, good or bad, but I don't know how to show, or even measure, the size of his tumors. I have taken a million pictures of him over the last several weeks, however, and some of them show the bulge that appeared on the left side of his head (when you look at his face from the front). I will look through them and see if I can create a progression of photos that shows how its size changed over time.
Even comparing them month to month after his chemo would be helpful for you and the oncologist, I'm sure. And don't underestimate their opinion too, you see Willy every day but they only see him every so often. If the mass shrinks and changes for the better that much, I am positive they will notice and bring it up.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Post MOAR Willy!
I will, but I don't want to take this thread too far down that path, because I want to keep it informative about his large-cell lymphoma.

I want this thread to help somebody else and their cat, some day. It's already a long thread, so I am going to mostly keep the pictures to a minimum, and post pics that are relevant to the topic. But occasionally, I might take a victory lap, like I am doing today, because he made such a noticeable improvement since yesterday.

For now, here are two pics from about 5 years ago...

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can measure the masses with a tape measure or a small ruler, or if you really want to get fancy, a caliper with non pointed ends.
Are you talking about from the skin to the outer edge (depth), or from one end to another (width/length)? I honestly don't see how I can do that with any degree of scientific accuracy.

We are talking about a subcutaneous mass with an irregular shape, and there are no reference points that I can imagine using, with my skills/knowledge. I'm sure that someone who looks at theae conditions regularly has developed strategies for measuring these. But I don't know what to measure, and from where to where.

If anyone has specific tips for this, please let me know. I will gladly take measurements if they might help track Willy's progression.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last update, late in the night of Thursday 11/2:

He pooped! It came out in a few small pieces, but I'd have expected nothing else. First BM since before chemo on Monday.

I am so happy as I go to bed tonight. During the day today, he had much more energy, much more appetite, drank plenty of water, urinated normally, groomed normally, window-gazed like he always used to, had a bowel movement, and his masses shrank noticeably.

And he is sleeping next to me, comfortably, after this full day.

Today was a good day.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Might be easier, I don’t know. Take a piece of blank paper and a large non toxic marker place paper on cat tumor and draw around the edges on the paper. Date the paper for reference.
or,
Take a small Dixie cup if big enough to cover the tumor. Draw with a marker on the cup how far the tumor fills the cup. Would need a clear plastic cup.
or,
Beg him for forgiveness because of trying the above suggestions, and take multiple pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.