Will you be donating to an animal shelter this Christmas?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RockinRhonda

yea once a year i do i go shopping at walmart get stuff like cat food ,dog food papper towles, some litter i can't afford alot so i don't spend alot of money so ifs off brand items.then i go to the dollar tree store and get a few toys and cat bowls
makes me feel good inside to do something for someone
That's what I do too Rhonda....I drop off kitty litter, food, toys, etc. How I want to take them all home and mother them......

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ever since I got involved at www.katsnkittens.com I not only donate money, at Christmas, but during the year to. I also donate my time to help with the strays and feral kitties we catch, or that people find and drop off. I make warm kitty shelters for the winter, sheltered feeding stations, kitty "cushions" of recycled paper with heavy gauge plastic and styrofoam on the underside, to place under a building I found some feral kitties living (and I put some of the kitty shelter boxes there too.
We have been working on catching/spaying/neutering these kitties. IF they are not too feral, we find good homes for them. If they are are very feral, we then re-release them. OH....I LOVE my little stray and feral kitties!
(And they know the sound of my car, as they know that the "Food Lady" is HERE!!! YAY!!!

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, tomorrow we are going Christmas shopping, not only for each other, but for the Roanoke Valley SPCA. I have also talked to them about coordinating events and gave them some new ideas, I make fleece blankets as well, and I could probably sell them also! I can't wait to learn to sew, that would help make a lot of stuff!

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I buy crib comforters at garage sales and take them to the humane society here when it starts to get cold out. They fit nicely in the cages.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If anyone wants ideas to help their shelter, I can share what I've learned from the one that I volunteer for:

Before you buy food to donate, ask them if the cats are on a particular brand. Many shelter cats are traumatized by their experience and changing food brands day after day only stresses out their compromised systems. Shelters try to stabilize their diets and oftentimes, if a food is donated that isn't part of their diet plan, they in turn will use it for feral cats or donate it to the poor.

The same generally holds true for litter (cats don't want their brand changed).

Cats that sit in cages all the time need stimulation. Toys that will give them something to do that can't be ingested or pushed out the bars of the cages are great. My shelter has asked me to make them hangy toys for the cages, and I'm always making catnip toys for them to play with.

Cage hammocks are great items for shelters (if you are crafty). If you want to go that route, go up to the shelter with a tape measure and measure their cages for the right size. You can make them easily out of a heavy, non-stretchable cloth. You can use either grommets, fabric loops, or button holes on the corners to hang, and we simply use shower curtain hooks to hang them in the cages. The cats at our shelter do use them!

Small food/water bowls and small plastic pans for litter boxes are also great. The small rubbermaid bins are the best. Remember you need to fit in a litter pan, food/water bowls and bedding into a fairly small cage.

Bedding is always a great donation. We take what we can get - small throw rugs, blankets without big loops (so they can't get their claws stuck), or any cat bed that will fit in a cage with everything else works well. Just remember that these are washed, typically in hot water on a regular basis so if you are looking for bedding, get something that will hold up to repeated washings in hot water.

Thanks to all that donate this year! The cats really do appreciate it!!

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today we went to Wal-Mart and we bought the following:
2 large containers of bleach
8 white towels (so they can be cleaned with bleach)
50 lbs of dog food
75 lbs of cat litter
40 lbs of cat food

They said anything they don't use they donate to other local rescue groups. I also picked up a volunteer application so I can be an events coordinater, and foster kittens, and a whole lot of other stuff.

pooky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope to donate:

(5)-Cans of Dog Food

Thats all I have so far,but i'm trying to get more to give. ^_~

missy&spikesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh.... I am going to put a
"Shameless Plug" in, for the "COOKING WITH CATTITUDE"

THAT will help the No-Kill Adoption and Rescue Ohio Program -- www.KatsnKittens.com
They/we work tirelessly, to find either good homes, neuter/spay them, & give them medicine to get them well/keep them as healthy as possible. If they are too feral, we re-release them back to their kitty friends (our local feral colony) at the abandoned grainmill at the edge of our town.
Right now, we have over 90 cats at Heather's House, 10 kittens at Cheryl's house and 35 cats we are working with at the Grainmill....
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

(I'll TRY to link it again--couldn't get it right, with this post!
)