Will urinary cat food harm my dog?

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so when I was giving Casper & Scooter their dinner earlier I walked away for a min when I came back Nera(my dog) was eating what Casper left. Scooter & Casper get wet food for breakfast & dinner while kibble is for lunch I will give a tiny bit as a snack. Casper sometimes paces his self so he will walk away then come back. Nera is very pick the only dog food she will eat is Cesar Simply Chicken which all that is really is Chicken & Water. I know that cause Scooter was eating her food once I panicked and looked at the container and ingredients said Chicken & Water for reference on her dog food I added pics of it. Anyway we already been to the vet about it when she was a puppy. Vet told us long as she eats and it’s safe for dogs let her eat. She said a little bit of cat food won’t hurt. But since getting Scooter & Casper urinary food I don’t let her eat the cat food. So will the urinary food hurt her? She hasn’t thrown up or anything I am just being cautious.

The urinary food I give is Purina Pro Plan Urinary Wet & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry. The flavor I gave the boys for dinner was Turkey & giblets.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
So will the urinary food hurt her? She hasn’t thrown up or anything I am just being cautious.
You sound a lot like me. ;) I'd also worry if the dog ate our cat's special dietary cat food. But I agree with the above members as long as it's not the whole amount and only happens randomly there should be no harm. When one of our cats was on a special diet I put his food up where the dog could not reach it, now the litter box was a different problem.:flail:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Normally I wouldn’t mind if she ate a little bit. But since switching to urinary food I didn’t know if it would affect her. We tried everything to get her to eat other dog food she is just not interested. That’s why the vet said long as it’s safe for dogs let her eat. Ever since Scooter’s UTI 4 months ago I have been a nut about my fur babies health. Especially after I had a brief panic over the whole pet food making pets sick coming from a facebook group and a holistic vet. Of course after being reassured by so many I calmed down about it. All I can do is take it day by day. I just can’t help but to worry about my furbabies.

I will say though wish there was a cat food like the Cesar food I posted. Yeah it is a topper but it’s the only dog food Nera will eat. But would be nice if there was cat food like that. Then again maybe that wouldn’t be good idk just saying,

Last edited by a moderator:

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have given that to my boys before it has more than 2 ingredients it has like 6 ingredients. I mean like to where it only has 2 like Cesar says. All that says is chicken & water on the Cesar pack. But that is still good too my boys loved it.

Oh I know things do get recalled and it doesn’t mean the company is bad. It means the company realizes there’s a problem and is doing what they can to fix it to make it safe. I mean my boys are fine but I do monitor them for any signs that I need to switch brands. If what I feed gets recalled I do have a back up. I can always go to IAMS urinary. But sadly they only have it in dry food. Urinary wet food idk yet hard to find more urinary wet food. My boys didn’t like Royal Canin. Hill’s didn’t agree with Scooter in the end. Plus both are extremely expensive and I don’t trust blue buffalo plus their urinary food isn’t in my area and I don’t trust ordering online. I definitely don’t want to do raw feeding I think it’s too risky for me. But for now I’m trying to stay away from the chaos and just take it one day at a time.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was the urinary food prescribed by the vet? One of mine is on ProPlan prescription food. He blocked multiple times and required 2 surgeries. Our dog will steal the food if I let him. It hasn’t hurt him, but I watch pretty closely because it is expensive. Years ago I used Royal Canin Persian, which adjusts the ph of the urine supposedly to prevent URIs. I stopped using it or any urinary food unless the vet prescribed it when another one of my boys blocked.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was the urinary food prescribed by the vet? One of mine is on ProPlan prescription food. He blocked multiple times and required 2 surgeries. Our dog will steal the food if I let him. It hasn’t hurt him, but I watch pretty closely because it is expensive. Years ago I used Royal Canin Persian, which adjusts the ph of the urine supposedly to prevent URIs. I stopped using it or any urinary food unless the vet prescribed it when another one of my boys blocked.
The Purina Pro Plan urinary wet & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry are not prescriptions. I went to over the counter cause I can’t afford the prescription brand. It’s why I make sure Scooter gets extra water in his food. I’m on a limited income so I can’t afford the prescription stuff. I do monitor Scooter’s litter box habits too. This may sound weird but I keep a log of when he goes, the estimated time I think he went, and I will break pee clumps to see if there is anything concerning. I do it since I can’t afford vet visits right now plus gives me a peace of mind. I was just wondering incase it could hurt Nera.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Purina Pro Plan urinary wet & Purina One+Plus Urinary dry are not prescriptions. I went to over the counter cause I can’t afford the prescription brand. It’s why I make sure Scooter gets extra water in his food. I’m on a limited income so I can’t afford the prescription stuff. I do monitor Scooter’s litter box habits too. This may sound weird but I keep a log of when he goes, the estimated time I think he went, and I will break pee clumps to see if there is anything concerning. I do it since I can’t afford vet visits right now plus gives me a peace of mind. I was just wondering incase it could hurt Nera.
Not weird at all. Very conscientious and smart IMO.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not weird at all. Very conscientious and smart IMO.
it just helps me get a peace of mind that he is ok. Seeing blood in your cat’s pee is very scary. So that is what I look for every time. I do have an album on Facebook private to me only cause I will take pics sometimes of the clump. It just helps ease my anxiety more.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
it just helps me get a peace of mind that he is ok. Seeing blood in your cat’s pee is very scary. So that is what I look for every time. I do have an album on Facebook private to me only cause I will take pics sometimes of the clump. It just helps ease my anxiety more.
During times of illness with my pets, I have so many poop pictures on my photo drive!
One of my girls had a very stubborn UTI once, I began to worry about her kidneys. I literally measured her urine clumps with a tape measure to be sure they were getting bigger.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Believe me I understand! 1 case of Jacks food is $65.00. I am still paying off his vet bills from last year. We are on social security so money is tight.
I definitely know the feeling Scooter’s emergency vet visit and regular vet visit for a check up cost a total of $1,600 I think. My mom got care credit to pay for it. We are still paying it off cause we can only make minimum payments. I only live with my parents at 35 cause I can’t afford to live on my own. I want to get Pet Insurance but can’t afford that either. Times are tough anymore.

xlynnbbyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
During times of illness with my pets, I have so many poop pictures on my photo drive!
One of my girls had a very stubborn UTI once, I began to worry about her kidneys. I literally measured her urine clumps with a tape measure to be sure they were getting bigger.
I don’t measure the clumps but I do make sure they are the size it should be. Since Casper uses the same litter box as I only have 1 box due to lack of space. I can tell when he goes he never covers his leavings. Plus his pee clumps are not that big cause he is a small cat. His would be the size of a golf ball I guess. Plus he usually pees when I’m in the bathroom so I can always see when he pees. Even though Casper is healthy I still check his just to be sure. I tell myself long as I don’t find a pea or dime size clump or blood we are good. Keeping a log on the notes part of my phone and pics in a private FB album only I can see helps ease my anxiety some. Cause I can see it for my own eyes. I will probably keep doing it until I can afford to take Scooter to the vet for a check up.