Will two brothers remember each other after being separated for a month?

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Basic story: My mom and I came across these two in late July and they were barely a week old. We raised them and of course they were each other's best friend. I married and moved in October and on a visit earlier this month, I brought back one of them to my new home. I will be going back to my parents for Christmas in about 2 weeks and I am wondering if they will remember each other. Has anyone else had to deal with a similar situation and what was the outcome?

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did reintroduce two half brothers after several months of separation.  They were single kittens born two days apart and reared toegether by both mommas.The reintro was a bit sudden and there was lots of hissing and growling between the two.
  I should have gone slower.

Everything worked out fine after a couple of weeks and they were back to being buddies again.   Though not as close as before. I would suggest keeping the 'new' guy separated for a little while.  They will likey re-establish thier bond fairly easily, but scent plays a vital role.  Once the new guy has acquired the familiar scents of your home and even the other boy on him, thing should go fairly smoothly. Scent swaping is a common topic here for introductions.  Try giving that a search if you want to try it.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome 

Unfortunately they will probably  not remember each other and be confused.  For the best outcome, you should follow the advice in this article regarding introductions http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Honestly, there may not be enough time at the holidays for them to really 'meet' one another again, and you may have to keep the kitty you took with you isolated. However, they may react very well- you never know.  Just go slowly and see what happens.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadowkat777

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully I will be in for a little over 2 weeks instead of a few days. It depends on plane tickets for my husband (he's military). I think Jack (kitty) will remember his old home and his brother has had some serious separation issues since I brought Jack with me so I'm staying hopeful.