Will this food encourage crystals?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, after a discussion with my local holistic vet, it was determined that Sluggo was in a state of emergency and should be put on the Waltham-Royal Canin SO immediately. I bought him a case of the wet, which I really didn't think he'd like because he doesn't like any other wet canned food. Anyway, he loves it and the best part is after 3 days there were no longer crystals in his litterbox! I'm amazed and very happy to say the least. When he peed there would be a pile like snow of crystals and now nothing. I asked the vet if it was possible after 3 days that it could dissolve them and she said yes. After Sluggo is finished with this treatment we're going to put him on a homemade diet. I've been doing alot of reading and research and I really believe this will be the answer for Sluggo. Other than that, Sluggo will go in for another urine test just before Christmas to see where his pH is at now. I'm told he could be on this special canned food for a month or two before we switch him, so keep your fingers crossed that his test comes back normal! I'll keep you all posted. And btw, thanks for all the suggestions. What a great bunch of people you all are!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIGHT BACK AT'CHA!!!

That is GREAT news about Sluggo's progress (love his name, by the way...
)
and I know several cats who absolutely thrive on homemade diets, including one young man who just celebrated his 21st birthday! He was rescued from an unknown background and weighed just five pounds when he came to the sanctuary from where my friend adopted him. He is now weighing in at around 12 healthy pounds, and doing just great -- in fact, he has his own blog, and is a world-famous kittystar!

Please do keep us apprised of Sluggo's progress. Success stories, we LOVE!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I offer you another suggestion? My vet was nice enough to order me my very own bottle of urine test strips, so I could test Polly's urine at home. A box of strips cost me about the same as one UA at the vet's. You won't be able to check for cystals with the strips, but you can check for blood, pH and other things. If the pH is right, there shouldn't be any crystals.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

Well, after a discussion with my local holistic vet, it was determined that Sluggo was in a state of emergency and should be put on the Waltham-Royal Canin SO immediately. I bought him a case of the wet, which I really didn't think he'd like because he doesn't like any other wet canned food. Anyway, he loves it and the best part is after 3 days there were no longer crystals in his litterbox! I'm amazed and very happy to say the least. When he peed there would be a pile like snow of crystals and now nothing. I asked the vet if it was possible after 3 days that it could dissolve them and she said yes. After Sluggo is finished with this treatment we're going to put him on a homemade diet. I've been doing alot of reading and research and I really believe this will be the answer for Sluggo. Other than that, Sluggo will go in for another urine test just before Christmas to see where his pH is at now. I'm told he could be on this special canned food for a month or two before we switch him, so keep your fingers crossed that his test comes back normal! I'll keep you all posted. And btw, thanks for all the suggestions. What a great bunch of people you all are!
what kind of homemade food are you making? I am thinking of trying the same thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by batgirl2good

what kind of homemade food are you making? I am thinking of trying the same thing.
I'm reading a book right now called "The Whole Pet Diet" by Andi Brown. She's the owner of Halo, which makes Spots Stew. Her book is recommended by Dr. Pitcairn, so it's got to be good. Anyway, she has recipes for the Spots Stew as well as other recipes for food. I'm going to try that when the time comes. Btw, Sluggo is doing FANTASTIC!!! He's only been on his prescription food for two weeks, but I've got a new cat here! He's feeling much better and is even using his regular litterbox now. I'm very pleased to say the least. I'll go get Sluggo's urine tested next week and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks to the person who suggested strips btw!! Well thanks to everyone for all your advice and opinions. This list is just so awesome!!!

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lndscpsam

I'm reading a book right now called "The Whole Pet Diet" by Andi Brown. She's the owner of Halo, which makes Spots Stew. Her book is recommended by Dr. Pitcairn, so it's got to be good. Anyway, she has recipes for the Spots Stew as well as other recipes for food. I'm going to try that when the time comes. Btw, Sluggo is doing FANTASTIC!!! He's only been on his prescription food for two weeks, but I've got a new cat here! He's feeling much better and is even using his regular litterbox now. I'm very pleased to say the least. I'll go get Sluggo's urine tested next week and let you all know how it turns out. Thanks to the person who suggested strips btw!! Well thanks to everyone for all your advice and opinions. This list is just so awesome!!!
Is Waltham ROyal Canin SO prescription?

What does anyone know about Royal Canin 33?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Is Waltham ROyal Canin SO prescription?

What does anyone know about Royal Canin 33?
33 i beleive says skin and coat .. it s focas is that... I will check tonight

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

well, it does not have ANY phosphorus, according to the bag. Thanks, sharky!
It has phos cause all foods do .. getting that may mean calling ... but I will check ..

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

.095 phos ... I called RC
wow, too much! That's a lot! Thanks for the info!

What, in your opinion, is the best non prescription food that I can try for my cats? (Low Phosphorus)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well okay you asked...lol..

I need all the "kids" issues ( allergies , uti , etc.) ages and activity levals and anything you DONT want in the food and $$ will to spend..

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humble has NO allergies. He does not like the dry eukanumba or the k/d.

He will sort of nibble at Purina One Urinary Tract dry. He won't touch the wet eukaunuba or the wet k/d

He takes 1/4 of a benazepril daily. He has all normal blood work but the UD is slightly elevated (I think it is UD). Doctor says he is in the VERY beginning stages of renal difficulties. He had bladder stone removed in November.

Right now the only wet food he will touch is beech nut baby food, stage 1, turkey and broth.

I started him on nutra cal yesterday.

SHenandoah needs to lose 1.5 pounds. What is the best thing for him?
He used to eat Fancy Feast but will not touch it now. He will eat the baby food as well and also will eat dry.
How can I deal with them both?

Humble is at a good weight. He likes to nibble little bits all day. Shenandoah would eat all day if he could get at it.

How would you handle this?

I feel like I am talking to someone who knows as much as a vet.

THANKS!

well okay you asked...lol..

I need all the "kids" issues ( allergies , uti , etc.) ages and activity levals and anything you DONT want in the food and $$ will to spend..

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The too that pop into mind are Nutro max senior ... ( silly question what is UD??) and Royal canins senior .... I will post links to profiles ...

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The too that pop into mind are Nutro max senior ... ( silly question what is UD??) and Royal canins senior .... I will post links to profiles ...
Maybe it is BUN levels that were somewhat off...I cannot remember. I will go look at those 3 foods.

The Nutro sounds great, as both cats are totally indoor kitties and not active.