Will they ever get along?

our3girls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View media item 249184
Recently lovergirl the large tabby cat with circular patterns and our other tabby have been fighting constantly.
It starts with the stare down,then a swat,the lovergirl pouncing ontop of cinnamon.Lovergirl seams to be the instigator of the trouble.
For the most these cats have got along but I think they just tolerate each other.Cinnamon used to be a boss but I think lovergirl is trying to be the dominate of the two that's why they are fighting.opinions welcome not sure what to do?I forgot to mention that theres a difference in ages between the 2.Lovergirl is 7 and cinnamon is 14.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they both spayed?  That would be the first concern.

Next, do you clip their nails?  This will help eliminate a few things, such as a major eye injury.

Cats live in a matriarchal society, so I suspect this is a dominance thing, due to Cinnamon's age.  Have you tried using the feline pheromone?  Something like Feliway.  This may help calm them.  You can find it online, or I think PetCo carries it.  Some folks say the plug in as not as successful as the other form.

Keep your expectations in line:  Remember, you can not make them best friends.  You CAN expect them to live in peace.

Can you keep them in separate rooms?  Not the best solution, but maybe just until you can go out and buy some Feliway to give it a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

our3girls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To answer the first question lovergirl is declawed on the front and cinnamons nails get trimmed on a regular basis.
To keep them in separate rooms is a bit challenging since theres no places that off limits except the our storage rooms.
Yes all 3 of my cats bare spayed,
Cinnamon has always been the dominate cat of the of the 3.chirpers who is the same age as lovergirl gets along with the other two.Shes very mellow and just sweet in nature and her and lovergirl play chase a lot.
Next I never heard of using pheromones to help cats get along.Is this something I can buy off the shelf at my local pet store or does have to be prescribed by a vet.Sure would be nice to see these two get along.These daily spats seem to be getting worse as time goes by and been living with each other now for about 4 years.