Will the new cat ever accept the resident cat?

banana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

About 8 weeks ago I took in a stray with the intention of finding him a forever home. He clearly was a home cat at one point but had obviously lived on the streets for a while. He was so skinny and so dirty (the vet initially registered him as grey and white eventhough he is pure white due to the fact that he was filthy).

over the weeks I grew attached to him that I really do not want to see him go and want to offer him my home forever. I had him neutered as soon as I rescued him as I already have two resident neutered females.

Unfortunately things are not going smoothely at all. He has tried attacking my senior cat a couple of times but she put him in his place and now he knows not to mess with her.

Unfortunately my young 1 year old cat is really suffering. She lost her room to the new cat, he has attacked her a few times and fur litterally flew from her and all she did in return was try to escape. She is not a fighter at all. She is the sweetest, kindest cat that I have ever had. you can do anything to her and she won't complain.

He makes a clicking noise when he sees her just before attacking and from my research I read that it means that he treats her as prey. Time is now running out for him because my little cat is so stressed and I really miss some normality back in my house.

Is there a possibility that he will NEVER accept her and actually try to kill her?

Here's what I'm doing:

-He sleeps in the bedroom away from both cats at night.

-In the morning I bring him out to the living room in a pet crate and leave him there for a while with the other two cats around.

-I then shut my young cat in the bedroom and let him out of the box for a while.

-i then return him back to the bedroom and get the young cat out.

-When I return home he gets to come out of the bedroom again and exchange places with the young cat.

-I then bring the young cat out of the bedroom and put her in the same room as him but high up on a shelf.

-after a while i put him back in the box and bring the young cat down off the shelf so that he gets used to her being around. I play with both my resident cats in front of him in the hope that he realises that they are not a threat.

-finally its time for bed and he goes back in the bedroom.

-I have a pet remedy plugged into the wall in his room but it doesn't seem to affect him.

I spoke to the vet and he said it might take a long time but also there is a possibility that he might never accept her. The vet suggested as a last resort that we try to very mildly drug him for three days to help calm him down.

There's so much information that I've read on this site that it's overwhelming. In the last year I introduced my young cat to the senior cat and eventhough it took three months for them to accept each other, I could not see the fear and stress that I'm seeing right now on my younger cat's face. She would actually stick up for herself with the senior cat but with him she just wants to get away. She has tried to be friends by approaching him (under my supervision) but after he attacked or tried to attack her a few times she just now stays up on the shelf and will only come down if he's in the pet crate.

p.s: with humans he is great and begs for head rubs. At night he just wants to sleep next to you hugging your arm. Just don't rub his belly or surprise him by approaching him from the back and grabbing him unless you want to risk him taking a swipe at you.

Here's a picture of him relaxing on the sofa and as usual staring up at the shelf where the other cat is.

Last edited: