will the cop call animal control?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to call the cops today over a neighbour issue, and the feral kittens were romping all over my yard. He asked about them, and I answered truthfully-no, they're not mine, they were born into my neighbour's yard...no they're not theirs either-mom's a feral...yes, I guess stray's another word for it. They play in my yard often, and the kids are trying to make friends with them.....no I don't know who owns them.

Will the cop call animal control now?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably not, although it depends upon the specific laws in the county/state where you live.  Now if the cats were diseased or showed signs of neglect, the cop might.  Also depending on the laws, feral/stray cats may be considered yours by the fact that you feed them (so you would be legally required to vaccinate them and license them).  That *use* to be the law where I live/d, but it was recently changed to protect feral /stray caretakers.

I feed a feral cat colony and have for almost three years.  Police cars patrol the area periodically.  They have never stopped and asked what I was doing.  I am not there as often--I moved and only feed on the weekends.  But I learned that animal control was called to remove a very sick/injured raccoon from the area.  I do not know if the cats or a dog fought with the raccoons; there are no predators around (except humans and cars).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I just wondered...the kids said the neighbors(whos yard they were born into) have blocked off the nest, and that it looks like they're looking to relocate into mine. I don't mind, since they play here anyway

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm working on socializing the kittens, and Mom even came within 15 feet of me today. fingers crossed. I think it might be worth looking into the TNR laws around here....just in case I can help them