will she act like this forever?

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a two year old cat, almost 3. Shes always been odd and doesn't like to be pet.

Since we moved into a new apartment, her habits have changed. If she wants attention, she will not bring her toys to play like she used to; now she cries and makes noise clawing the bed. She also bites me, but won't act this way toward the men in the house.

She never was like this before. She doesn't act aggressive or appear to be attacking me. It seems like she wants to play that way maybe.

I really would love any help. Thank you.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How recent was the move? Cats don't like change, and the move could have stressed her and caused the behavior change. It may disappear as she gets more used to it. When she bites you, what are the circumstances? Are you playing with her, petting her, or is it just out of the blue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been almost 3 months since the move. And she just randomly bites, but it appears to be a playful type bite. She basically puts her mouth on your skin and then stops. She's never bitten hard or even given me a scratch. Usually she sprints away right after biting.

Usually she comes out of no where, bites then runs away.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm, that kind of biting has been described to me as a "love nip." My cat does this to me too. She will be licking me and then gently bite me. She's never broken the skin. It definitely startled me a bit at first, but now that I am used to it, I don't flinch at all, and she goes back to licking after a long moment.

In your cat's case, she does seem to be being playful, like she's expressing affection and a request for attention/play. Maybe try playing with her after she does this?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that she is trying to get your attention so you will play with her.  She is wanting to play tag or hide and seek.   I call this a "cat mugging"  Does she ankle mug you, too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sfbridges1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of cat mugging. Yeah she also does the ankle thing too.

What is cat mugging exackly?

stella123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cats a bugger for this too...lol...i'll be walking up the stairs and he'll run up behind me grab and nip my leg....then sprint back down the stairs...he never hurts me though..just makes me jump..

i play toy fights with my cat..so i do get a few scratches on my hand..but when he bites its not hard enough to break the skin...

if you watch two big cats in the wild playing..you'll see just how similar the play is...if you have only got one cat..she'll want some kind of natural cat play one on one..that mught be why she doesn't bring you toys anymore..i plat hide and seek with my cat...its so funny..he pounces on me in my hiding place and does a boxing movement with both paws around my head...but he does not use his claws near my face...its only play!!

also i got my cat a medium size brown teddy bear..and he loves to play ruff with that...i hold it and move it then throw it into the air...he catches it..then kicks its arse...very funny to watch..

your cats just trying a new type of cat play with you..as long as shes not aggressive and growling or hissing at you..then she just wants your attention....lol..

casemarten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a recently neutered male who is big on the mugging!

He is always coming up behind me and nipping at my ankles.  It's a play thing, and either I play with him or turn on one of the automated toys. 

Cats can be super demanding if they have a need that is not being met.  If she is (maybe?) uncomfortable in the new place, you should try to help her be more comfortable in each room.  I have one that is very change-aversive and we had to literally walk him around the entire house and let him smell everywhere and tell him "this is buddy's house" (his name is buddy) every stop we made.  Sometimes cats don't feel welcome in a new place and you have to show them they are :)

Sa'ida Maryam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
To all the companions of cat muggers, who get ambushed , or have the kittie lion [I am the King - and gonna scare you ] attacks. My Maine coonie Mix can play these games all day long. I wish I could caught the lion open paw grab on photo. But they usually scamper away. I play chase in play (hot pursuit) This is
All in fun Behavior a forever young cats. My 3 year old is more kitten-like than my 1.5 year old. Now, he is crying to play.