Will My Kitten's Eyes Ever Change Color?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, I have an odd kitten, he is 4 and 1/2 months old and all black- and his eyes are STILL ALL BLUE.

From what I understand of cat genetics, this should not be possible. And from the articles that I have read, most kitten's eyes change by the time they are 3 months of age. But my little Sirius's eyes are showing no signs of changing from blue.

EDIT: I also have his brother Remus (orange and white) and his eyes have fully changed to yellow.

Here are a few pictures I took of Sirius. Sorry they are a little grainy, I had to zoom in on his eyes.
Screenshot_20170924-205811.png
Screenshot_20170924-205928.png

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
raina21 raina21 - Blue-eyed black cats are an example of incomplete genetic dominance - an hypermelanistic cat who carries, and partially expresses, the temperature-sensitive albino gene found in the Siamese (cs on the C locus). The word, "rare," is so overused in today's world that it has almost no meaning, and while not a genetic impossibility, in the case of a blue-eyed black cat, the word, "rare," can be used without a second thought.

There's a second possibility, even rarer, however - the Ojos Azules Cats of New Mexico have naturally-occurring blue eyes which aren't linked to the cs gene, and which are, now and then, seen in solid black.

Edit, to add what clearly doesn't need to be said: Sirius is absolutely stunning, and as such a bright and shining star, he's well-named too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
raina21 raina21 - Blue-eyed black cats are an example of incomplete genetic dominance - an hypermelanistic cat who carries, and partially expresses, the temperature-sensitive albino gene found in the Siamese (cs on the C locus). The word, "rare," is so overused in today's world that it has almost no meaning, and while not a genetic impossibility, in the case of a blue-eyed black cat, the word, "rare," can be used without a second thought.

There's a second possibility, even rarer, however - the Ojos Azules Cats of New Mexico have naturally-occurring blue eyes which aren't linked to the cs gene, and which are, now and then, seen in solid black.

Edit, to add what clearly doesn't need to be said: Sirius is absolutely stunning, and as such a bright and shining star, he's well-named too.
Thank you for your kind words about my Sirius :) He is quite beautiful. He is unfortunately battling a rather alarming case of Conjunctivitis (showed up out of nowhere on friday night, I took the pictures in this thread on thursday). We are treating him daily with antibiotic eye drops. I feel so sorry for the poor boy.

My poor goopy eyed baby :(

Screenshot_20170924-230055.png

Last edited:

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can add in some lysine to help with eye infections. It helps if they have herpes virus or immune system in general. 250 mg twice a day. Spry treats work well or Now lysine powder mixed in food(there's nothing else in it), 1/8 tsp twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can add in some lysine to help with eye infections. It helps if they have herpes virus or immune system in general. 250 mg twice a day. Spry treats work well or Now lysine powder mixed in food(there's nothing else in it), 1/8 tsp twice a day.
Yeah both Sirius and Remus are taking the eye drops as well as 1 ml of lysine twice a day.