Will My Kitten Ever Stop Annoying My Older Cats?

amythyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a little male kitten who is approximately 3-4 months old.  He is very sweet and playful but he really wants to play with my older cats and they are quite not in the mood. :)  The cats do get along... if he isn't annoying them... they will sleep together and even eat out of the same food bowl but when he gets playful they will growl and hiss at him and they spat a little.  He doesn't seem detered by them at all and just keeps going at them.

There is no blood shed or anything and my older cats just seem to want to tell him to leave them alone but he isn't listening.... do I just let them fight when it happens or should I break it up?  Is this just him being a playful kitten?  I know its not ideal for him being the little new guy with a bunch of senior cats (10 and 8) but we also do try to play with him a lot and he has tons of toys all over the house.

Luckily we're in a pretty big house and the cats can get away from him.  But they do like to be around us so when we are all in one room its hard for them to escape him.  But the other thing I find wierd... is if they don't want to play with him why do they stay around?  Like for example we'll be going to bed at night and all three of them will be in our bedroom he will start chasing them or trying to jump on them and the other cats just hang around.... like if they don't want to be bothered why do they stay near him?

The other cute/odd part is that if he and our female cat (8 year old) start fighting my older male cat (10) will try to protect the kitten and yell at our female.  But if the kitten tries to play with him he's like no no... I'll defend you but I don't want to play with you. :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they are not attacking  him, I'd just let it continue on as it is.  Hissing and some putting him in his place by (limited!) acts of physicality is normal. They are just showing him the ropes.  He will get it eventually.  He is a determined, brainless (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible- kittens OFTEN just do NOT get it) normal kitten who just wants to play. 

When you want to take action is if they are legitimately attacking him for more than a few seconds, if any blood is shed, or if it seems they are being truly AGGRESSIVE with him.  Otherwise they will sort it out among themselves- don't worry too much. If the kitten were legitimately hurt, he'd let you know. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amythyst

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cool thanks, that's what I thought but just wanted some other opinions.  I don't believe they are intentionally attacking him... they only get physical when he decides to jump on their backs or try to play with their feet or tails.  He's just la la la la la this is fun and the others are just like leave me the hell alone... lol.  As long as he isn't trying to muff with them they get along well.

Sometimes, I think they secretly want to play with him too but they just only wanna do it for a few minutes where he wants to do it for an hour. :)

Thanks! :)

Last edited: