Will my cat’s stitches heal okay from spay? Strange vet visit

Jujubeebox

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*apologies in advance for my semi rant and long post:

Hello, I got my 5.5 month rescue kitten, Oreo spayed three days ago out here in Puerto Rico.
Her procedure was successful from what the vet told me. Her stitches looked fine. I asked if I can have a cone or purchase one because I wasn’t provided with any aftercare medication or instruction. I noticed the vet was very hesitant to give me one and encouraged me not to use the cone, because “it will cause more stress to the cat”. I purchased one regardless just in case. Once Oreo arrived home, she looked like she was in a lot of pain- going through the recovery process. She started to lick her stitches so I put the cone one before going to bed. When I woke up, she had taken her cone off and got one of her top stitches out.

I called the vet, and she tried to blame me for using the cone. It was a “I told you so” moment. Very strange and confusing. I brought her in and they said that she is, “healing beautifully”. They told me to disinfect the wound with hydrogen peroxide. That didn’t sound right to me. I went to a different local vet to get a 2nd opinion. They said since the stitch ripped off is on the superficial layer it should be okay. They definitely told me to keep the cone on and told me a big NO NO on the hydrogen peroxide. He also prescribed antibiotics for safe measure. What a weird experience I had with the first vet… I still have to go back to them after 10 days to get her stitches removed.
It’s day 3. Her stitches look fine for the most part, my only concern is that top part. It looks like a small hole to me, and I am wondering how it will heal? I’m probably being a little paranoid for my baby, but I just didn’t have a good experience with the first vet, and the bad advice I received from them. I replaced the cone with a more comfortable inflatable collar and shirt. She is much happier. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In a perfect world they would have maybe used some skin glue. I think if you prevent her from taking more out, she should be fine. Don’t let her be to active either. The cone is always a good idea with sutures rhat can be removed, especially in this case where she left super long ends on them.

I don’t like the vet that did the spay. I would see how much the new vet would charge to remove the sutures.