Will my cat reject her kittens if groomed by another cat?

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth 4 weeks ago, however, there’s another cat of mine who is currently pregnant, in her 7/8th week of pregnancy. Out of nowhere, the pregnant cat started caring for the kittens of the another one as if they’re of her own. She grooms them and lets them nurse her. Is she mistaking them for her own kittens, or is it just the hormones and maternity behavior? And is it possible my cat whose kittens they really are, rejects them because of another cat grooming them? Thank you in advance!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really, especially if your mama cat is friends with the other. she may enjoy getting away from her duties for a while. Once the other cat has her kittens, they may co-parent, but be sure the smallest ones are getting to nurse, the older kittens can push them away. The smell of your other cat is known to mama. Cats very rarely reject their kittens, usually only first-time mamas and then because they don't know what to do. The thing that may concern you is if mama doesn't nurse them enough, she may not produce enough milk. Are the little ones getting anything from the pregnant mama? If not, they may get exhausted from trying and give up. Please make sure mama nurses them often. You may want to weigh them daily and make sure they are gaining. It is more a wive's tael that animals reject their offspring because of smell, iI have handled many that the mother takes back, all kinds of species. There was a buffalo herd though lately, that rejected a calf because it was handled by humans, but they observed it being handled and it may have frightened them that badly.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have answers, but I'm really curious about this. Does anybody know if this happens in nature? Like among feral cat colonies? Will other pregnant/nursing females nurse another female's babies sometimes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not really, especially if your mama cat is friends with the other. she may enjoy getting away from her duties for a while. Once the other cat has her kittens, they may co-parent, but be sure the smallest ones are getting to nurse, the older kittens can push them away. The smell of your other cat is known to mama. Cats very rarely reject their kittens, usually only first-time mamas and then because they don't know what to do. The thing that may concern you is if mama doesn't nurse them enough, she may not produce enough milk. Are the little ones getting anything from the pregnant mama? If not, they may get exhausted from trying and give up. Please make sure mama nurses them often. You may want to weigh them daily and make sure they are gaining. It is more a wive's tael that animals reject their offspring because of smell, iI have handled many that the mother takes back, all kinds of species. There was a buffalo herd though lately, that rejected a calf because it was handled by humans, but they observed it being handled and it may have frightened them that badly.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have answers, but I'm really curious about this. Does anybody know if this happens in nature? Like among feral cat colonies? Will other pregnant/nursing females nurse another female's babies sometimes?
Yep. Especially if the mothers have been hunting buddies. Co-parenting takes place in many species that have multiple births. And cats are among the most maternal of all animals.