WILL MY CAT BE SAD (LIKE ME) IF I HAVE TO BRING HER TO A SHELTER?

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Allie,

When I was 32 years old , I bought a Great Dane puppy.  My circumstances changed and I was forced to take the puppy to a duplex with no fence.  My land lord was my friend but I also worked at night and was under a lot of stress.  I was "forced" to take her to the Humane Society in Fort Worth Texas.  A woman there said she was beautiful and she raised Danes and she was going to adopt her.  She was scared and bewildered.  At 74, I still think about that puppy and how she loved me.  She is long dead but I wonder if she did get a good home.  I also know , the reality is it was hard for me to raise her but I still look back and regret the decision I made to take her to the Humane Society!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allie11

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Frajude--I'm sorry that still ways so heavy on your mind. I know that you're puppy knew the time with you was special for both of you. You crossed paths for a reason. Nuture yourself as you did the puppy, and remember the safety and security you gave her.

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So glad this story worked out and hopefully stays worked out.  If you get caught with the cat, play on the managers human decency by explaining your situation...how you had to give up your own place to move in with your mother on short notice and couldn't find a new home for your cat of 8 years whom you did not want to give up to just anybody.  If nothing else, offer to pay a monthly fee until you guys move out.  Promise him/her they can do weekly or monthly or bi-monthly inspections of the place to see that your cat is not causing any damage.  Whatever it takes to keep your family together, because that's what getting a pet should mean to more people.  Where there is a will, there is always a way.

The sad truth is, we are a disposable society and that's why shelters are full and millions of animals are being euthanized every year.  It's depressing and frustrating.  Just today, I was told by my FedEx driver that there was a random dog up on my road.  It was pouring rain out, but I was in the middle of work and just could not leave, but I grabbed my go bag (bowl, food, leash, towels) and went up there as soon as I was able to, about 2 hours later.  No sign of the dog, but I will keep an eye out and have my bf do the same.  It is so frustrating to read posts like this where people, for whatever reason, want the easy way out to a situation that involves an animal.  As an animal lover, I just cannot imagine not finding a way.  We'd all live in a cardboard box under an overpass before I'd give up my animals.  All the ones I have rescued over the years and gave away, I truly regret because those animals came to me despite being scared and wary of everything new suddenly around them, and I promised to be kind to them and give them what they had lost or never had.  Then, I broke that trust by giving them to people who I trusted to keep those promises, but who never stayed in touch or ignored my requests for an update. I now keep them all so I know that they are safe, loved and will never be discarded again. 

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What you are saying is very true but there are times when life's circumstances do not allow you to work things out.  Here in Texas out in the country where I have cattle, I see many animals that are let lose by owners who no longer want them.  I do not like to think of the numerous animals that suffer that way. There are places like the Humane Society and other no kill places are available.  Here we have Operation kindness which works to place all animals.  I have been forced by circumstances to take one puppy to the Humane Society nearly 38 years ago.  I still feel saddened by it.  She was a young puppy which due to financial changes came with me to duplex being  chained in a back yard.  When I came home from work I took her in the house but my landlord who was my friend complained because she howled when I was gone.  I took her to the Humane Society in Fort Worth and one of the volunteers there said she raised Great Danes and she would adopt her.  I realize that this was not the best solution but life had thrown me many curves that I never expected.  Maybe it would have been better not to buy her but I did it in good faith.  Currently, I have taken in 5 stray kittens and raised them, feed two feral cats that are neutered  and make sure that stray cats that wander on my property in Waxahachie find at least some water and dry food.  When I have lost animals over the years a part of my heart has gone with them. Now I own my own home and care for my cats being attentive to make sure that I have adequate to take care of the ones that I have. I have sold young bulls for service but none of my cows or my original bull will be sold since the slaughter houses are equally bad.  

whatsonemore

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also live out in the country and on a road where dumping animals out and driving away is apparently very easy for way too many people.  If I'd kept every animal I ever took in, in the 16 years I've lived here, I'd be at around 20 dogs.  I currently have 6 cats from that and 3 dogs, with another one that wandered away from her neglectful home a mile and a half away where the owner didn't even realize she was missing and she was literally a 6 lb. feral puppy when I caught her 13 years ago.  Plus my own dog, so a total of 11 animals, with more coming all the time.  As a matter of fact, I'm going to take in a 7th cat tomorrow that showed up at a lady's house nearby that she doesn't want (she has 2 cats now) and she thought by not feeding it, it would go away, but it hasn't so she now feeds it, but doesn't want it.  I can't in good conscience let that poor cat pay for something it's crappy owner did to it by either letting it wander off, dumping it out or whatever and then the cat being ignored and possibly injured or killed by others around who don't like cats or don't want a stray cat roaming around  their _______ .

The one time I had to call a rescue group, all of them were full and couldn't take on any more dogs.  Those were for a couple of pit bulls that I felt were too aggressive to bring down my drive to my house where I had several other dogs at the time and didn't want any trouble.  Unless you live in town, the animal shelters don't take in strays and they are not no-kill.  The humane society in a nearby town about 30 miles away will take your pet, but they charge a fee, which apparently no one wants to pay or doesn't know can be done, but in any case....You can't tell me that all these animals all came from someone who just could not find a way to keep their pet.  Most of the dogs I take in are pups.  No longer cute little puppies, now they are running, biting, playing, energetic machines.  I'm sure they are too rambunctious for people with kids or too loud for the backyard or too expensive or no telling what their reasoning is.  I'm certain that if they REALLY loved and wanted to keep their pet, they'd find a way.  At least a few of them.  What kind of a life do they really think their animal is going to have dumped out in the middle of no where or in an animal shelter?  A great one?  I can't imagine thinking that whatever your situation is, you can't do something to make it work...in your case, you couldn't get a roommate with different hours than you?  Hire a neighborhood kid for cheap to walk your dog or pet sit it? Buy interactive toys for it to chew on or play with while you were gone?  Did you really do EVERYTHING you possibly could to keep it?  If so, then you shouldn't have any regrets.  If you didn't, then I'm sure there will always be "what if" questions and some guilt. 

As for buying from a breeder, I'd never do it.  Not when around 25% of pets in shelters are purebreds, if that's your thing (my 8 yr old purebred lab has had more health issues than all my rescues have ever had combined because that breed is just prone to allergies, hip issues, etc.) while so many amazing animals that so desperately want and deserve a loving home are being killed by the truckloads through no fault of their own.

My point in my post was just that of course things happen in life, but if you REALLY want to keep your pet, you can usually find a way to do it.  And you should, since pet ownership shouldn't be as frivolous as rug ownership. 

bekuh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is probably bad advice but I would just sneak her in to the apartment. I couldn't imagine having to take my cat to a shelter....

bekuh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat Lovers....I have some great news and apologize for taking so long to post. I took Allie to my mother's (she lives in a 3 level condo), and Allie and I stay in the bottom level. My mother is getting old and needs assistance, we moved her bedroom to the main level and the 3rd floor is just empty bedrooms.
The next step is having my mother sell this place, it's way to big. My mother is happy not being alone, and no one even knows Allie is here. I am very, very grateful for all of you who helped me. Thank you so much!!
Oh awesome!!