Will It Hurt My Cat If He Has A Little Poop On His Bum And He Licks It Off?

iheartlife

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was really constipated so the vet gave him an enema. He had diarrhea on his bum when he got home which I wiped off the best I could. I ended up giving him a bum bath (instead of a full bath). He still has some diarrhea. He long haired so it is clinging to his tail and hind end. I've been wiping it off the best I can each time, but there's still a little left behind- no pieces or big globs, but enough to make his white fur yellowish. I just had surgery a few days ago and am not supposed to be bending or lifting anything over 10 lbs so I don't have the strength right now to give him a bum bath each time he has some more diarrhea. The vet said it should subside in a day or two. Will he be okay if I wipe him down the best I can until it subsides and then give him a bum bath once it stops. If he ends up ingesting some will it hurt him? How much could he safely clean off himself? I'm cleaning him the best I can with a wet wash cloth but there's still some left each time. Is it harmful enough I need to get it all off every time or will he be okay if he ends up cleaning a little off of himself? If I need to for his health's sake, I will try to bathe him thoroughly each time, but as I said I just have surgery on my stomach and am not supposed to be bending or lifting. Please also let me know if you have any better cleaning tips than a warm wet wash cloth.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's absolutely fine for him to clean poop off himself - it's what cats are meant to do! My (shorthair) girl gets cling-ons from time to time, and HATES it when I clean her up. Usually I'll get a wipe or two in, and she'll then start cleaning the rest off herself.

I tend to use unscented/unmedicated baby wipes (Water Wipes is my preferred brand) rather than a washcloth, simply because it's easier and they're disposable. They're a bit softer than a washcloth too - definitely a good thing, especially for sore bums like your boy's must be right now.

Have you thought of asking your vet (or vet tech) or a cat groomer to clip his back end? It's called a sanitary clip. You might even be able to get a mobile groomer or a vet/vet tech to come to your house - helpful as you shouldn't be lifting things at the moment ;) It sounds like it might help him (and you) a lot, especially right now. It's pretty commonly done for longhaired cats, and really does make a difference to them keeping themselves clean.

I hope your boy feels better soon, and that you heal up from your surgery quickly and well :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: