Will I Kill My Vet???

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wrap my cat in a towel with just her head sticking out, tilt her head back and use a pill gun to drop the pill in the back of her throat. I gently keep her mouth closed and rub her throat. Works great.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Droncit (praziquantel) available in a liquid form?

Also, since we're on the subject of tapeworms. Levasimole is used as a dewormer with cattle and can be used in fish tanks for roundworms (as is prazi), can it be used with cats and dogs?

mermaid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Droncit tabs should not be crushed up and mixed with food. Praziquantel has an extremely bitter and objectionable taste. This will make cats foam like crazy if they even touch it. It does not come in a liquid form to my knowledge.

Droncit does come in an injectable form, your vet would have to administer that for you.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just went through this with Seamus in July... he was impossible to pill with the Drontal, the vet tried and gave up on trying to pill him. They did give him an initial injection for the Droncit and in hindsight I should have asked that they just treat him that way. He was also on Panacur because he had giardia and he's all better now. Pill pockets sort of worked, it was still a struggle. He just hated those pills, and if ever he gets sick again, I'm insisting they give me a non-pill option if there is one.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a new dewormer available now called Profender Spot On.
Info on it can be found at the following link http://www.profender.no/106/Home.htm

It would be worth asking the vet about. I believe it is broad spectrum and covers round, hook and tape.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with Hissy on this one. We had to administer Drontil (sp?) to our two. After several failed attempts we got the pill pockets and since they are both suckers for treats, the pockets worked like a charm.