Will Cats Stay Away From Plants Sprayed With White Vinegar?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have recently read in Internet that one way of keeping your cats from biting your plants is spraying them (the plants not the cats :flail:) with white vinegar. Would appreciate any opinions. Many thanks.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Didn't slow mine down, neither did the no chew or the bitter apple.

I only kept plants they could eat. Boston ferns were a favorite since you hang them as high as you want/or can water. That means only dry leaves fall to eat and, apparently, aren't that interesting. Also spider plant. We had lavender in long boxes on the floor. It promptly died. I was getting ready to throw it out when i saw our then cat jump in the planter poop and pee. We hadn't noticed because our then dog followed the cat to do clean up. Cat pee and poop will finish plants, so I always suggest hanging plants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Kflowers. I don't have any problem with Sombra trying to use my plants as a litter box. But she will try to bite some of them. Not only she could spoil the plants but I'm always worried she might get sick. That's why I was interested in the Internet article stating that cats will keep away from plants sprayed with white vinegar and wondered if anyone at TCS could confirm this.

I have 3 hanging pants but I also have a lot of plants all over the living-room and kitchen to which Sombra has easy access.

Last edited:

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had luck with lemon oil on cotton face swabs that I placed around my plants, I have close to 50 orchids, it worked for me.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had luck with lemon oil on cotton face swabs that I placed around my plants, I have close to 50 orchids, it worked for me.[/QUOTE

50 orchids!!!! wow! Then they are garden orchids I suppose? I love orchids and I have a few indoors because I live in an apartment. Fortunately Sombra hasn't tried to bite the orchids but other plants with thinner leaves.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of your plants may not survive the vinegar. If fact I use vinegar outdoors to kill weeds in the sidewalk.
Thank you Susan, I'm glad I asked. :gaah: But I wonder if WHITE vinegar would also act like ordinary vinegar.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've killed plants with white vinegar, so don't try it. Mingo loves my spider plant, which is on a high shelf and will get up there to munch when he's hungry. He knows I don't like it, so he does it to get me to feed him. It hasn't poisoned him, but he's shredding my plant, so I put a can of SSSSScat on the shelf. That will keep him off.

Some plants said to be toxic to cats aren't that bad. I have a huge peace lily, and they sometimes munch on the leaves, but have never gotten sick. They don't bother my orchids, and a large one is on the floor and quite available.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My orchids are indoor houseplants types, I do have them outside in a room attached to my garage for the summer. What kind of orchids do you have?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone could make you a 'pie cabinet' only all wire instead of walls. Wooden posts with wire attached and shelves inside to hold your plants.

It was a boy cat who did in the lavender.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My orchids are indoor houseplants types, I do have them outside in a room attached to my garage for the summer. What kind of orchids do you have?
I have always had Phalaenopsis but one of my grandsons gave me Doritaenopsis on grandmother's day, which I understand is a hybrid (Doritis/Palaenopsis). It is supposed to be a stronger plant. Herewith a photo:
IMG-20190612-WA0002.jpg
Do you know it? I keep it in the kitchen because the rest of the apartment is too hot because of the central heating.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t remember the name of it but I had a plant in my office for years and grew it from a tiny pot to close to three feet tall. It looked like a miniature tree, long trunk and poof of green at the top. When I changed jobs I brought it home and left it in what I thought was a safe spot on the screen porch till I started my new job. Only a few days later though my fat crabby Siamese came marching into the living room carrying the whole top of the plant. Could have cried

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always had Phalaenopsis but one of my grandsons gave me Doritaenopsis on grandmother's day, which I understand is a hybrid (Doritis/Palaenopsis). It is supposed to be a stronger plant. Herewith a photo:View attachment 290922 Do you know it? I keep it in the kitchen because the rest of the apartment is too hot because of the central heating.