will be a cat mom on 12/16...help!

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi my name is Mary Lou and I will be a new mom on December 16th my 69th birthday to two little girls who I've already named Pearl and Daisy.
I really need help as to what their needs will be when they come home to me. I'm new to this site and it took me forever to figure out how to post the thread, but I'm sure if anyone decides to help me out and answer me I will be able to find your post to me.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the site, glad you have joined us. Enjoy looking around and when you have Pearl and Daisy, don't forget to post photos, we love them here. How exciting, two kittens. I would ask what they are being fed and keep feeding that, a sudden change of food can cause an upset tummy. If you want to feed them something different, slowly transition it. You will need litter boxes, two is best although they will use both, litter, again find out what they are currently using, bowls for water and food, toys, somewhere for them to sleep, a bed or blanket. It would be a good idea to register with a vet and have them checked. Will they have been treated for worms and fleas or vaccinated? Ask as many questions as you need, there is a wealth of information on this site.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maryloumulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the site, glad you have joined us. Enjoy looking around and when you have Pearl and Daisy, don't forget to post photos, we love them here. How exciting, two kittens. I would ask what they are being fed and keep feeding that, a sudden change of food can cause an upset tummy. If you want to feed them something different, slowly transition it. You will need litter boxes, two is best although they will use both, litter, again find out what they are currently using, bowls for water and food, toys, somewhere for them to sleep, a bed or blanket. It would be a good idea to register with a vet and have them checked. Will they have been treated for worms and fleas or vaccinated? Ask as many questions as you need, there is a wealth of information on this site.
Hi Verna, first let me thank you for your great advice. Second, I will be taking lots of pictures of my girls, and I am looking forward to sharing them with all my new and extremely helpful friends. My pastor has Abby who is the mommy of Pearl and Daisy so I will make sure I asked him all the pertinent questions that you have mentioned. I got a copy book just for the girls and I'm writing down all the advice I get from all my new friends here. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me I appreciate it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And con-cat-ulations on the pending adoption of your 2 kittens. :bouquet:
Looking forward to seeing pictures of Pearl and Daisy once they're home. :camera:

Here's a bunch of TCS articles written especially for new cat parents. Hopefully they will answer a lot of your questions.

First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let's see now...even if your girls go out, you'll want litter boxes available for nights, bad weather, etc. Get three. The rule of thumb is that you should have one box for each cat, plus one. Also, since these will be young killens, DO NOT use clumping litter for the first 5-6 months of their lives. Young kittens are like young children, they explore the world with their mouths, and clumping litter can cause fatal intestinal blockage. MOST kittens have outgrown this by four months, but they all have by six months.

Decide what you are going to feed, and I suggest a good canned kitten food, and start out as you mean to go on! Feed them, when they are very young, 4 meals a day. It is virtually impossible to overfeed kittens! They are so active that they will burn off all of those calories in a minute! Around 6-7 months, drop back to 3 meals a day, then about a year, go to 2 meals...morning and evening.

I'm sure there are THOUSANDS of other questions! Do NOT be afraid to go to Cat Health, Cat Nutrition, and Cat Behavior. Also, look through our articles! LOTS of information there!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
e077913a491397be26e556f2f1d7e666.gif
Mary Lou, Pearl and Daisy, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
19c3f133001584443cf2de73b0583333.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Do post photos of Pearl and Daisy when they arrive :camera::camera::camera:

Since you you are a new cat owner, do read the articles below and those mentioned above by rubysmama rubysmama to orientate yourself on taking care of a cat and to get a speedier answer for your questions, post them in the links that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 provided.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515
spay-and-neuter

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

dash.go

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi my name is Mary Lou and I will be a new mom on December 16th my 69th birthday to two little girls who I've already named Pearl and Daisy.
I really need help as to what their needs will be when they come home to me. I'm new to this site and it took me forever to figure out how to post the thread, but I'm sure if anyone decides to help me out and answer me I will be able to find your post to me.
Hi Mary Lou! I too am a new member as of just tonight. I am 69 as well but feel like 22. I have been a dog person all my life as cat’s didn’t like me probably because I smelled like dog’s but now I have there 2 7 & 6 mo old Bengal kitten’s and they are not dog’s! So far what I’ve learned is cat’s need a very high quality food. More so than dog’s apparently, though I always fed my dog’s high quality food. Apparently cat’s are more prone to upper respiratory infections and need to be treated when they get these infections. That’s different than dog’s. Stay up to date on their vaccines though and indoor Carl’s live longer and do much better than indoor/outdoor cat’s.spay/neuter is highly recommended for you as well as your kitten’s. This is just some things I’ve learned and hope help but keep searching and asking and pass the info back, I’m learning too. 🙂

dash.go

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Verna, first let me thank you for your great advice. Second, I will be taking lots of pictures of my girls, and I am looking forward to sharing them with all my new and extremely helpful friends. My pastor has Abby who is the mommy of Pearl and Daisy so I will make sure I asked him all the pertinent questions that you have mentioned. I got a copy book just for the girls and I'm writing down all the advice I get from all my new friends here. Thanks again for taking the time to reply to me I appreciate it.
Hi Mary Lou! I too am a new member as of just tonight. I am 69 as well but feel like 22. I have been a dog person all my life as cat’s didn’t like me probably because I smelled like dog’s but now I have there 2 7 & 6 mo old Bengal kitten’s and they are not dog’s! So far what I’ve learned is cat’s need a very high quality food. More so than dog’s apparently, though I always fed my dog’s high quality food. Apparently cat’s are more prone to upper respiratory infections and need to be treated when they get these infections. That’s different than dog’s. Stay up to date on their vaccines though and indoor Carl’s live longer and do much better than indoor/outdoor cat’s.spay/neuter is highly recommended for you as well as your kitten’s. This is just some things I’ve learned and hope help but keep searching and asking and pass the info back, I’m learning too. 🙂
Mary Lou, this is Cathy again, the message above is me. I forgot to tell you, I very much like the names of your kitten’s. And I’ve read 2 great books my veterinarian recommended by the same author, Pam Johnson-Bennett. One was titled think like a cat, the other is cat vs cat. 🙂