WILL ADOPTING SECOND KITTEN HELP STOP ROUGH PLAY??

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am pretty new to this site and have never posted anything..About 2 1/2 months ago, I unexpectedly became a mom to the best darn kitten ever born..His name is Benjamin..He is a Siamese mix and he is beautiful..But he didn't start out that way..When he was found he was about a month old, weighed less than a pound and was covered in fleas..As tiny as he was he had managed to find a house in the middle of nowhere and refused to be ignored..This was my in laws' house..I had never owned a cat before and never really wanted to but when I saw him I knew he needed me..I managed to talk my husband into letting me bring him home..We have a large dog  and we were not sure how they would get along but once again Benjamin surprised me..He is fearless..There were some issues with parasites (roundworms and coccidia) and he had to take quite a few rounds of medicine to clear this up but he has since blossomed and is bursting with personality..We just love this little boy..Sounds like a perfect happy ending, doesn't it?? Well...Mr Fearless Benjamin  has ripped all of us to shreds..Especially me..I guess since he was so young when we found him that he never learned the correct way to play or never learned boundaries..It's pretty bad..I am the main person of attack. Along with the rough play, he has become my furry alarm clock..He wakes me up at 4:15 every morning with a nice hard bite on the nose..In his defense, he is starving to death!  It has gotten so bad that i have started to consider adopting another kitten so he can have a playmate..Will this help?? And if it will help, what kind of kitten do i get?? One with a laid back personality?? I don't know if I could handle another big personality like Benhamin..I mean you cant have two kings in one castle..By the way, Ben was just neutered last week so i dont know if that will calm him down..It certainly hasnt yet..Any opinions would be appreciated..I have been looking at kittens at different shelters and want to make the right decision..

louann1977

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes another kitten will help once the introductions are complete. I got lucky and it my two warmed up together the same day. I honestly believe the younger they are the easier it is.

Have you considered trimming his claws. I do this to all of mine, I have 6 atm, and it makes life so much easier. Giving him a stuffed animal to wrestle with. I loved when my little ones would play with theirs.

You can also refuse any attention when he gets rough. When he bites or claws immediately say ouch and then put him down. Don't pet him or play for a period of time. Also hissing at him may help to.

That is about all I have maybe a person with more experience can help more. I know there is some plugins  you can buy that can calm him down.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want a kitten similarly aged that can keep up with your current cat. Also you can try hissing when your cats being aggressive. If that doesnt work try growling mean like a dog. Hissing/clapping hands doesnt work with my Benny anymore but the growls work so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank y'all for the advice! What a difference a few days make. I adopted a 6 month old dilute calico from the SPCA on Friday. She is gorgeous and a total snuggle bug. I introduced Caya to Benjamin yesterday and I am stunned at the results. There were a few hisses and play got a little rough a few times but they totally got along.  They played all day long.  Benjamin is like a new cat.  I think he only bit me once yesterday! This morning he jumped on my pillow just to get some belly rubs.  I am so happy.  My poor little wild child just needed someone to play with.  I am separating them while I am work today because I don't totally trust them yet but I know it won't take long for them to become best friends.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you got a 2nd and its working out great! I will also be lookig for a 2nd for my 6 month old. Hes not too aggressive but im sure he would appreciate a friend for 16 hours of the day im not around

santan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have it under control and congrats on your growing family, New Cat Person!!!

I would just add that a lot of what you are seeing with your boy, Benjamin, is simply him being a kitten. At that age, everything is a new adventure and life is one big experiment in how things work, how much can I get away with, etc.

Animals are like little kids. Boundaries have to be set. Biting and scratching Mom should be met with a stern "NO!" and refusing to continue play until they calm down.

Wand toys are great for play sessions, particularly the ones with long handles and long streamers for kitty to chase. LOTS OF TOYS, PLEASE! Wand and stuffed, balls and felt mousies and... the big favorite of my 3 month old at the moment is a ball track toy she chases around and around and around until she's dizzy. Haha!

Run their little buns off and burn that energy, Mom!

Good luck!