Will a pregnant cat still go into heat?

keekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that this seems to be a silly question. My cat about 8 weeks into pregnancy and is acting like she is going into heat again!?! I have read that usually the cats nipples will enlarge after a few weeks , which they have not shown any signs of so far...

She shows all of the signs of being pregnant(the swollen abdomen,eating more,and sleeping more as well..) , but after the heat episode I am left wondering ...is she really pregnant or is she playing opossum?

Any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

A little about the cat...
She is a year and 3 months old . A siamese/manx (3 vertabrae). She weighs about 8 pounds. She is a house cat only goes out on the weekends well supervised...with the exception of this ONE time!

scavenger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has the vet actually heard the heartbeats of the kittens? Have you felt the kittens move? She might be having a false pregnancy! Then again, cats can mate during pregnancy, so perhaps she is "up for it!"

Will you be spaying her after this? (I hope)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know...I know! I should have had her spayed at 4months. I did not think a thing about getting her spayed until she began going into heat...she was strictly a house cat. After she has her litter she will be fixed! Thanks for the response.-Josh and KeeKee

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kee Kee, have you had her in to see the vet since becoming pregnant? Scavenger brings up good questions - if you haven't seen or felt the kittens moving around or if the vet hasn't been able to detect their heartbeats, this could very well be a false pregnancy.

I really think that if you haven't already, you should have the vet take a look at her and give you his professional opinion.

Best of luck,

~gf~

keekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response... I have yet to seek the advice of a professional vet. Money has been kinda' tight and I figured since all of my other cats when i was younger had no trouble with these kind of issues I would be alright. She will definately be spayed after this little encounter! -JOSH

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keekee

Thank you for the response... I have yet to seek the advice of a professional vet. Money has been kinda' tight and I figured since all of my other cats when i was younger had no trouble with these kind of issues I would be alright. She will definately be spayed after this little encounter! -JOSH
Hey Josh....you may want to take her in to be spayed anyways...waiting just gives her more time to possibly become pregnant. Here is a list of low cost spay options in TN:

TENNESSEE
Holly Help Memorial Spay Fund
Bristol VA / Bristol TN
276-466-5375
Everyone is eligible for low cost s-n assistance, which is funded by the public through recycled aluminum cans.
People United for Animals PUFA
PO Box 1082
Bristol TN 37621
423-274-2407
Lost cost s-n assistance in Bristol VA/TN

Humane Society of Greater Sullivan County
Kingsport TN
423-239-5237

Northeast Tennessee Animal League
Blountville TN
423-288-2255

McMinn Regional Humane Society
PO Box 7
Athens TN 37371
423-744-2747

The Spay Station
Humane Association of Wilson County
Lebanon TN
615-444-1196

Beesley Animal Humane Foundation Spay/Neuter Clinic
1140 Haley Road
Murfreesboro, TN 37129
615-890-6878

Nashville Humane Association
112 Harding Place
Nashville, TN 37205
615-352-4030
Call to learn about their low cost spay/neuter program, in partnership with Friends of Animals and with the Davidson County veterinary association.

Ken-Tenn Humane Society
PO Box 1526 Fulton KY 42041
Area code 731
Email: [email protected] Remove the nospam to send email
For residents of northwest Tennessee and southwest Kentucky (Obion and Weakley Counties in Tennessee and Fulton County in Kentucky), low cost s/n for pet cats and feral cats. Also, they offer advice on how to maintain feral cat colonies.

AnimalWorks
Alcoa TN
865-379-2227

Fix-A-Pet clinic
Seymour TN
865-579-6738

Animal Foundation of East Tennessee
AFET
1637 Downtown West Blvd, Suite 16
Knoxville, TN 37919
865-691-8384
Low cost s/n for everyone, and free for some clients who are low income.

People Promoting Animal Welfare (PPAW)
Greenback TN
865-856-7729

Animal Protection Association
PO Box 11471
Memphis, TN 38111
901-377-3779
Low cost s/n for pets and ferals.

Hardin County Adopt-A-Cat
8325 Highway 128 South
Savannah, TN 38372
[email protected] email
Low cost spay/neuter for pets of county residents.

Hardin County Humane Society
PO Box 874
Savannah, TN 38326
901-689-3963
Low cost spay/neuter for pets.

MEWTOPIA
Germantown TN
901-753-8890
Memphis area.

Spay/Neuter Assistance Program
Humphreys County Humane Society, TN
931-296-0938
Provides some assistance for s/n of pets of low income people.

Humane Society of Putnam County
Cookeville TN
931-372-2728

Cookeville/Putnam County Animal Shelter
Cookeville TN
931-526-3647

Prevent Unwanted Pets
Cookeville TN
931-528-5539

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rather than going into heat she might be ready to have them. cats can get very loving, clingy and affectionate right before they give birth. Mine showed many of the same 'symptoms' as going into heat.

keekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WoW!!! Thank you very much for all of that info! I took her to the vet shortly after posting that first message and the vet said he was pretty sure that she was not pregers!!!! WOO HOO! But, none the less it is now time to get her spayed! Thank you for all of that info ! I really appreciate that !-Josh

keekee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the info! I really do appreciate that there are true cat lovers out there! Bestes to all of you !

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by keekee

WoW!!! Thank you very much for all of that info! I took her to the vet shortly after posting that first message and the vet said he was pretty sure that she was not pregers!!!! WOO HOO! But, none the less it is now time to get her spayed! Thank you for all of that info ! I really appreciate that !-Josh
Josh..good to hear she isn't pregnant. Keep her indoors and away from intact males and let us know when she is spayed.

Katie

pauli466

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my definitely pregnant cat also appears in heat so I would say yes a cat has heat cycle pregnant or not