Will a 3 month old kitten get along with small pets?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the cat. I had a rabbit when I first got my first kitten, and they got along great, but my cat was very laid back. If you can keep them separated while you are gone, and watch them when they are together they should grow to respect each other and the cat will should realize the other animal is part of the family and not prey, but don't count on it.

Truefully, as long as the kitten has enough things to play with, he should be fine while you are gone. He will explore...definitely! Nothing you can do to stop that. And the toys don't have to be expensive or store bought. My cats can amuse themselves for hours with just foiled balled up. Honestly, cats sleep most of the day, and as long as you give him a lot of love, attention and play when you get home he should be fine. If you're worried about him being lonely while you're gone, the best bet would be another cat rather than a smaller animal. I think cats are like tattooes...once you have one, what's one more?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched a 8 week old kitten kill a mouse one time. We turned our backs for a moment to find something to pick it up and when we turned back, her belly had a weird round lump in it and the mouse was gone.

She was born to a feral mom and we took her into our home at 6 weeks old. By then she obviously had learned how to hunt. Depending on the background of your kitten, you might be OK, but then again, you might not be.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have pet rats and they were never afraid of my cat (who showed no interest in them, she doesn't think anything that doesn't come from a can or a bag is food or interesting) or my dogs. My Golden Retriever is very friendly with all kinds of animals and she just loved the rats.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emilyasweetie

are they scared of him at all?
He's not my cat, but from what I know they are all ok together.

Nekochan, that's a lovely photo. The rat looks quite happy

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

He's not my cat, but from what I know they are all ok together.

Nekochan, that's a lovely photo. The rat looks quite happy
Yep, she seemed very much at home sitting there, I think she liked the warmth of my dog... The next photo I took of her, she was starting to take a bath! (here's a link to that pic.)