Will 6 foot vinyl fence retain my cat?

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm considering having a 6' vinyl fence installed, primarily to keep kitty from wandering off. Would need about 385 feet, at a total cost of around 13-15k.

We recently moved to a new house. She is almost 10 yo. At our previous property she was allowed to visit the neighbor's yards, during daytime, under my watchful eye. Over the years she has torn both hind knee ligaments. But is doing pretty well. Can jump about 4', but I seriously doubt she can leap to the top of a 6' high fence. I understand cats can't grasp/climb a flat vinyl fence. I know there are options to install impediments to the top of a fence. Looking to better understand successes and/or failures in keeping a cat in a yard with a vinyl fence.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Flat vinyl fences are popular around here. Make sure that there is no way to dig or otherwise get under the fence; many seem to be on posts that are slightly raised. I don't know if I would trust the 6 ft height personally.

Fiona herself could not jump a fence as she got older and was allowed outside, when I was home and watching, into the back yard which has high walls. However, we did have a hawk incident although I got to her in time to prevent injury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many thanks for the replies. I'm know many cats can leap 6 feet. But nearly certain mine can not. Damage to her knees resticts her. Have never seen her try 6'. Am evaluating potential threats from birds here in southern Delaware.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flat vinyl fences are popular around here. Make sure that there is no way to dig or otherwise get under the fence; many seem to be on posts that are slightly raised. I don't know if I would trust the 6 ft height personally.

Fiona herself could not jump a fence as she got older and was allowed outside, when I was home and watching, into the back yard which has high walls. However, we did have a hawk incident although I got to her in time to prevent injury.
I agree that digging out under the fence must be prevented. I would allow her outside only while watching. Could install coyote rollers on top in the unlikely event she's able to leap to the top.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't remember where I read this,but one thing to watch out for are eagles. Someone found a nest with collars. They swoop down fast!
Gotta watch out for big birds!

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence around our backyard that we had installed six years ago, when we bought our home. There's an 8 inch high concrete bumper, for lack of a better word, around the bottom of the fence on the outside. We had the existing short chain link replaced with this vinyl fence because when we moved here we had two german shepherds, since passed away, that could easily clear a five foot chain link fence.
The vinyl fence neither keeps a cat in or out. There are slight gaps where the fence meets the house in two places and spots where even our super level lot is slightly lower than the bottom of the fence. Our neighbor's cat visits pretty regular.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a 6 foot vinyl privacy fence around our backyard that we had installed six years ago, when we bought our home. There's an 8 inch high concrete bumper, for lack of a better word, around the bottom of the fence on the outside. We had the existing short chain link replaced with this vinyl fence because when we moved here we had two german shepherds, since passed away, that could easily clear a five foot chain link fence.
The vinyl fence neither keeps a cat in or out. There are slight gaps where the fence meets the house in two places and spots where even our super level lot is slightly lower than the bottom of the fence. Our neighbor's cat visits pretty regular.
So under and through gaps. But cats do not climb it? I've been told that metal rods in the ground can be used in places where there are gaps between ground and fence bottom.

Worth noting that Kitty has been staying much closer to the house in the past year. Often no more than 30' away. I do suspect in this new property that she may be content to roam nearly a quarter acre of gardens and shrubs, and not fight too hard to breach the barrier. She's not a young cat. I'm limiting her time outdoors right now so she doesn't get accustomed to venturing too far.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So under and through gaps. But cats do not climb it? I've been told that metal rods in the ground can be used in places where there are gaps between ground and fence bottom.

Worth noting that Kitty has been staying much closer to the house in the past year. Often no more than 30' away. I do suspect in this new property that she may be content to roam nearly a quarter acre of gardens and shrubs, and not fight too hard to breach the barrier. She's not a young cat. I'm limiting her time outdoors right now so she doesn't get accustomed to venturing too far.
Nah, the vinyl is too slick for a cat to climb, unless you get a fancy design one that would allow the cat get a foothold. The squirrels, we have at least six that call our backyard home, can't even climb it.

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I appreciate all the information. The overarching theme appears to be: don't do this.