Wild Roses for the garden, why buy store bought roses! :)

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently found wild roses growing in a nearby wooded area not realizing roses grew wild, I never paid much attention to them as they were overgrown,huge,tangled messes with so many leaves and little to no flowers and they just didn't look nice. Not the rose you would want to have growing by you.

But then one day I did some research to see if people grew them in their gardens, and it turns out they do and they are easy to grow and quite beautiful if properly cared for and kept trimmed! They almost never get diseased, tolerate drought and cold very well, and grow quickly and are hard to kill. And they are what the fancy roses originated from.

So I planted 1 in my yard but got these pictures from a friend of what an established plant looks like. They are amazing if cared for properly!

Rose trimmed often

Rose trimmed, but let it grow as a bush/privacy hedge instead of a small bush.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to let you know there is a highly invasive rose called a multiflora rose that one doesn't want anywhere near ones property.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keith p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn't the same one, I know the one you are talking about. My neighbors have the rose I posted pictures of an as long as you trim it to how you want it the plant is nice to have.

Someone wanted to try crossing the wild rose with their pink tea rose and see what develops but it can take years for a flower to develop possibly and i'm not sure if they can hybridize?