wild cats reproducing over and over at my sisters

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah I don't know.  From watching hoarding shows I don't think she is quite that far.  Her whole house smells like a huge litter box.  The cats are in the attached garage but the smell  is throughout her house.  I don't know, maybe she doesn't notice anymore.    She seems to take great pride in feeding them the hotdogs and lunch meat.  Apparently they come running.  I can't understand how she even thinks that is the best for them.   Well this is coming from someone who would feed their dog a pound of these cheap hotdogs throughout the day  as a treat.   roll eyes.   Wouldn't cheap cat feed even be better?  Maybe a toss up.   Spaying and neutering by her will not happen. Too many cats at this point.   The best I can start with is to check with animal control and see the options.   I don't understand.  I suppose she never suspected in the beginning that it would come to this.  Started with two  stray cats in the barn.  Sounds simple I suppose.  It is just mind bogeling to me.  

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes.  North Dakota. Rural location.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Hoarding" is exactly what came to my mind as well.  It doesn't have to be "made for TV" to be a bad situation.  I wish you all the best in this.

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: ldg

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Yeah I don't know.  From watching hoarding shows I don't think she is quite that far.  Her whole house smells like a huge litter box.  The cats are in the attached garage but the smell  is throughout her house.  I don't know, maybe she doesn't notice anymore.    She seems to take great pride in feeding them the hotdogs and lunch meat.  Apparently they come running.  I can't understand how she even thinks that is the best for them.   Well this is coming from someone who would feed their dog a pound of these cheap hotdogs throughout the day  as a treat.   roll eyes.   Wouldn't cheap cat feed even be better?  Maybe a toss up.   Spaying and neutering by her will not happen. Too many cats at this point.   The best I can start with is to check with animal control and see the options.   I don't understand.  I suppose she never suspected in the beginning that it would come to this.  Started with two  stray cats in the barn.  Sounds simple I suppose.  It is just mind bogeling to me.  
I am so glad you have posted, I thought we lost you!!

We really do want to be able to help you! Our reactions, comments and our advice, we don't want to run anyone off, by no means, and I hope that maybe you are considering some help for your sister and her home.

Situations like these can and do start out innocently enough, but over time they easily get out of control. Then it turns into a negative thing for them, what started as a good, positive thing of helping a couple of homeless cats.

The hoarding tv shows are extreme ones, but yes, I would consider this to be a hoarder type issue as well. How many do you think are there total? You also mentioned other pregnant?

You did mention North Dakota, is there a county you can tell us? We certainly aren't looking to do anything except research what is there as far as help, and what options are available, so we can let you know. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"Hoarding" is exactly what came to my mind as well.  It doesn't have to be "made for TV" to be a bad situation.  I wish you all the best in this.
The root of the issue is that she thinks she is helping them, yet can't see their suffering. :heart2: I think this will take a delicate hand, because she'll need the help to understand that "her" cats are suffering. :heart2:

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 I still don't know where I am going with this.  Honestly I was just so frustrated  that I was just letting of some  steam so posted about it.  Maybe there can be a solution.  As much as I don't like it  the situation it is touchy.    The location is Kidder County North Dakota.  She is out of the city limits of Dawson so it would be a county thing.  As much as I don't like what is going on I cannot have her know or find out that I would have intervened.   

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I still don't know where I am going with this.  Honestly I was just so frustrated  that I was just letting of some  steam so posted about it.  Maybe there can be a solution.  As much as I don't like it  the situation it is touchy.    The location is Kidder County North Dakota.  She is out of the city limits of Dawson so it would be a county thing.  As much as I don't like what is going on I cannot have her know or find out that I would have intervened.   
We have a program in our town called New Leash on Life where they help  out. Maybe there is something like that. The cats need to be neutered one way or another I have been in that situation where it gets out of control and my vet finally offered to do 7 adult ferals over 2 days at a discount-we had a fundraiser and had them all done. He had to clear his schedule to  do it but vets understand and will help out. Call a few and ask if they can suggest something- you may be surprised some may offer to help.

Hot dogs are a terrible diet for any pet or human. ARGHHH.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The root of the issue is that she thinks she is helping them, yet can't see their suffering. :heart2: I think this will take a delicate hand, because she'll need the help to understand that "her" cats are suffering. :heart2:
Yes, usually these situations are manifestations of another condition, and it's usually a mental health issue. Something as simple as depression. This is why even if these cats are helped/removed, she'll probably get more and the cycle starts all over again until she gets help for herself.

erinradfeeley

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel for you and your family and for the cats. I would suggest calling Adult protective services. She is obviously in danger if there is ammonia from the cat pee in high levels. I would also do a simple search online for feral help groups in the areas. I found one in mine and we have stopped the circle here. I know you love your sister. Sometimes love means reporting them. She needs help as an animal hoarder for both her and her animals. I will keep y'all in my prayers.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a Humane Society nearby, you can place an anonymous call to their staff. They all have an officer who investigates animal abuse and hoarding. They could come in and rescue those kittens, give them veterinarian care, and adopt them out. Also, if the house is deplorable, they will take action to help your sister clean out her home. I hope there are no children living there. It sounds like your sister has a type of hoarding illness and needs help--if not from you, then from another family member. I think the reason you are venting on this forum is because you genuinely want to help her.

It's natural for cats to breed with siblings and offspring, and there are no medical or developmental complications as there are when human inbreed. If the inbreeding is continual, the worse that can happen is that some cats may have an extra toe. Inbreeding is no reason to not adopt a cat. Fleas, worms, and malnutrition are all very easily treatable conditions. It would be healthier for the cats (and cheaper financially) if your sister bought large bags of Meow Mix. This is the "junk food" of cat food, HOWEVER, it does contain all of the vitamins and nutrients necessary for cat health and is MUCH better than hotdogs. Perhaps you could suggest this to your sister, and provide her with a coupon on two for it?

I really hope you will contact your local Humane Society or ASPCA--these are much better options than Animal Control. Animal Control will sometimes trap and euthanize cats, whereas the other organizations will try to adopt them out. At any rate, you could call anonymously, describe the situation, and get all the information you need to make the best decisions. Good luck, and don't be offended that some of us get upset when reading stories such as yours.   

jodiethierry64

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My sister is a evil nut job and I have no contact with her anymore but I did step in, when we were speaking, to pay for her animals medical care. She had no problem as she used me in every aspect. Even lying and saying she was dying of cancer so she could sit and not work while I paid her rent.
Now your sister seems like she really thinks she's helping these felines. I would sit down and talk with her. Tell her that you know her intentions are pure. Be kind but educate her. Tell her it's not healthy for them to be breeding and that you know she loves them and that sister I know you wouldn't intentionally want to cause them harm. If she wants no part in you trying to help her then you will need to get firm.
I don't know how many felines she hasbut if a small number, maybe you can talk to her about T.N.R. Living in a rural area the felines would do fine if they're fixed, fed a healthy diet and treated by a vet. I don't know if financially she can do that or would an organization help.
These poor guys need a hero. Please be theirs!!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Telling us the area will only allow us to research who should be contacted, and if there is any help, and what type.

Without an address nobody here is going to be reporting anything, other than possibly who to contact for help.

It can ALWAYS be anonymous, just so you know.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to kind of be a downer and say that this kind of situation is veryvery common in rural areas, and there really aren't any resources for helping :/. The sheriff will not deal with cats, and there is no Animal Control. So. . .yeah. It's depressing. There are sometimes area vets who will help out, give discounts for multiple spay/neuter situations. But Adult Services is not likely to care if the cats are not in the house (who doesn't have farm cats?) and there are no animal welfare groups.

So it will be totally up to the OP and her sister to see if they can come up with a solution. Maybe the sister will agree to feed them yummy canned cat food (tell her they like it more than hot dogs!) and perhaps will agree to have a few females spayed here and there. If she agree to get help but can't do it herself, there may be some people in town who love cats and will assist.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to kind of be a downer and say that this kind of situation is veryvery common in rural areas, and there really aren't any resources for helping :/. The sheriff will not deal with cats, and there is no Animal Control. So. . .yeah. It's depressing. There are sometimes area vets who will help out, give discounts for multiple spay/neuter situations. But Adult Services is not likely to care if the cats are not in the house (who doesn't have farm cats?) and there are no animal welfare groups.

So it will be totally up to the OP and her sister to see if they can come up with a solution. Maybe the sister will agree to feed them yummy canned cat food (tell her they like it more than hot dogs!) and perhaps will agree to have a few females spayed here and there. If she agree to get help but can't do it herself, there may be some people in town who love cats and will assist.
So I see, the only contact I saw was the sheriff's dpt and it's very doubtful they will even care, but did see a list of vets near there who might be helpful or even agree to assist in getting them fixed, and meds.

Never know unless you ask I suppose. 

@sherrymyra  have you ever tried really talking to her about the cats? You're not suggesting she get rid of them, just getting them some vet care/help and feeding them something that isn't total garbage? Give her some kind of articles maybe about a cat's health in regards to what she is feeding them?

I'm sure money is tight as it is everywhere else, but it wouldn't hurt any to call vets there and ask for help. Who knows, maybe they CAN actually lead you in the right direction, there's got to be something, people there have lots of pet animals too, and some who need medical help but no money. That's sort of universal, help for anuimals in need. Not always easy to find but they are out there somewhere.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you would like to help prevent the kitties from suffering, here are some organizations you can reach out to - to ask if they're aware of any low cost spay/neuter services, any vets that may be willing to help with reduced fees, or if anyone within their organization may PERSONALLY be willing to help come trap, crate, transport, etc. cats for vet/neutering care - or if they would be willing to put you in touch with other people or organizations that may help, &etc.

This clinic apparently is not yet established, but: http://www.bismanspay.org/index.html
Here is an article about the effort: http://www.kxnet.com/story/22809424/a-cause-for-a-claws

The James River Humane Society may know vets or places to get reduced rate assistance: http://animal.rescueme.org/NorthDakota

I read that the Central Dakota Humane Society gives out a limited number of low cost spay/neuter certificates monthly. That may be old information, but it's worth calling to ask: http://www.cdhs.net/contact/

This is the kind of organization that may have people willing to help. Your best bet, IMO, is to go to one of the meet and greats they hold at Tractor Supply in Jamestown for pet adoptions, and actually talk to one of the organization's volunteers about getting help for the cats: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ND13.html They may be willing to pull some of the younger animals and bring them into their foster network for adoption.

:heart2:

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Agreed.  I'm also concerned about what happens if someone comes in and rescues the cats.  Without proper help for the sister, "vacuum effect" will occur and she'll have new cats to start this process all over again.  The pet welfare groups can talk until they're blue in the face, but when a person thinks that living in filth and cats dying of diseases is "helping" them, I'm sorry but professional psych help is needed.

I hope that these cats and the OP's sister gets help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Agreed.  I'm also concerned about what happens if someone comes in and rescues the cats.  Without proper help for the sister, "vacuum effect" will occur and she'll have new cats to start this process all over again.  The pet welfare groups can talk until they're blue in the face, but when a person thinks that living in filth and cats dying of diseases is "helping" them, I'm sorry but professional psych help is needed.

I hope that these cats and the OP's sister gets help.

Yes, this is a definite concern. That's why it's a good idea if S sherrymyra can find low cost spay/neuter services, and get the cats sterilized to stop the breeding. Leaving some of the cats in place with a plan for proper care is probably a good idea, but removing some of the younger cats/kittens so they can get proper care, be homed, and reduce the number of animals is, IMO, the best idea.