Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The brown and white cat in the first set of pictures? Thats our sweet big tom cat! Lots of scars from fighting and then of course an ear tip from his neuter! No more fights for this guy!
Yep, from the first set of pictures.

Oh goody, his galavanting days are over!:clapcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And he won't even miss it! He'll spend his days hunting and sleeping in sunpuddles. WELL DONE!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question. Have you got any tips for trapping cats that have experienced severe abuse? This one is especially savvy. She won’t go near any trap no matter what food, how hungry she is, how I hide it, where I place it or what kind of trap I use. I have never encountered one this difficult before. She was with a kitten the other day when she spotted me. She literally threw the kitten to the ground in an attempt to protect it from being seen. She is still at high risk and I am desperate to get her. Any suggestions will be tried.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jcatbird, there was a feral kitty with bad mange I could not get with a trap. I put a bunch of food in a big dog kennel and let all the cats go in to eat. I tied a string on the door and when she was in there by herself, I closed the door and ran over and latched it. She's very friendly now and is always trying to trip me.

I talked to this homeless druggie lady today. She found a kitten and is keeping it in a small kennel under the bridge where she lives. I tried to talk her into letting me rescue it, but she said she is in love with it. Poor baby, I hope she changes her mind.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip. I have a large carrier. I will try that. I will let you know how it goes.:yess:
The homeless druggie lady is an issue I have dealt with. Maybe you could explain to her that the kitty needs to get medical care and spayed or it might not survive or might run away. If she truly loves it she will give it safety. She may not have thought about what would happen to the kitty if she got sick or detained. Or what others might do if they find the cat. It is sad. I had occasion to work with some homeless folks. That may be her only source of love and companionship. Maybe you can at least give her a number to call if she is taken somewhere that keeps her from tending kitty so you can rescue it then. The city near me gives care to the pets of the homeless. It came about because so many homeless bonded with cast off animals. It is a difficult situation. I hope you can help the kitty. It’s great that you are trying. Also sad that the lady cannot get herself some help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I talked to this homeless druggie lady today. She found a kitten and is keeping it in a small kennel under the bridge where she lives. I tried to talk her into letting me rescue it, but she said she is in love with it. Poor baby, I hope she changes her mind.
Maybe you could offer to get the kitten spayed/neutered, vaccinated and chipped for her? And get her a harness and leash so she can let the kitten out of the kennel to walk around a bit?

The homeless in Japan always seem to bond with the feral cats. They all live in the parks and along river banks, so they keep each other company.

At least if the kitten is fixed and vaccinated she/he will stand a better chance.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the tip. I have a large carrier. I will try that. I will let you know how it goes.:yess:
The homeless druggie lady is an issue I have dealt with. Maybe you could explain to her that the kitty needs to get medical care and spayed or it might not survive or might run away. If she truly loves it she will give it safety. She may not have thought about what would happen to the kitty if she got sick or detained. Or what others might do if they find the cat. It is sad. I had occasion to work with some homeless folks. That may be her only source of love and companionship. Maybe you can at least give her a number to call if she is taken somewhere that keeps her from tending kitty so you can rescue it then. The city near me gives care to the pets of the homeless. It came about because so many homeless bonded with cast off animals. It is a difficult situation. I hope you can help the kitty. It’s great that you are trying. Also sad that the lady cannot get herself some help.
I did try to talking her into letting me take it, telling her it would go to the vet and get a good home. I told her it would be happier if it could run around and play and not be stuck in a cage. She said she lets it out on a leash. I will keep trying to gently nudge her, when I see her. And I told her if she changes her mind she can bring it to me. She panhandles close to the area where I feed a small colony by a dumpster. She used to keep a dog in that little cage. I don't know what happened to it. She seems nice, but I fear for the kitten.

Here's another idea that might work for getting the cat that won't go in the trap:

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe you could offer to get the kitten spayed/neutered, vaccinated and chipped for her? And get her a harness and leash so she can let the kitten out of the kennel to walk around a bit?

The homeless in Japan always seem to bond with the feral cats. They all live in the parks and along river banks, so they keep each other company.

At least if the kitten is fixed and vaccinated she/he will stand a better chance.
I'll have to ask my rescue friend if she will vet the cat, knowing it will be going back with a homeless person. I am poor and she pays for all the vetting for the cats I rescue. I'm not sure the kitten will survive in that environment. It is very young, it's very hot here, and a drunk or drugged up person might forget to give it water. She says she has a leash. She did tell me she gave it goats milk and not cows milk, so she is not completely clueless on how to care or a kitten. So that is good.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did try to talking her into letting me take it, telling her it would go to the vet and get a good home. I told her it would be happier if it could run around and play and not be stuck in a cage. She said she lets it out on a leash. I will keep trying to gently nudge her, when I see her. And I told her if she changes her mind she can bring it to me. She panhandles close to the area where I feed a small colony by a dumpster. She used to keep a dog in that little cage. I don't know what happened to it. She seems nice, but I fear for the kitten.

Here's another idea that might work for getting the cat that won't go in the trap:

I smiled at the video. Great idea! Necessity is the mother of invention. If you build a better cat trap they will come! I will start on this right away! I think this may be the solution. This is one of the most intelligent cats I know. Her mother was as well but her Mom was not abused and I was finally able to just earn her trust and pick her up to put her into a cage. Her other babies just walked into a carrier I had been feeding them in. The severe abuse this cat endured ( along with the abuse and death of a litter) has left her distrustful. Poor sweet girl. She deserves a peaceful and safe life. Her kittens too. I will take all of your advice to heart. I will start the process and progression of boxes. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Good luck on your attempts with that homeless lady. You can only do what she will allow. Maybe with time she will listen to you. A drugged state is not a good one to be in if you have taken responsibility for a helpless animal. Maybe when she is straight she will realize the truth of what you have told her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I have been a bit absent lately, it has been crazy busy. Please take a moment to read this guy's story and share!
Help Save Winslow!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I have been a bit absent lately, it has been crazy busy. Please take a moment to read this guy's story and share!
Help Save Winslow!
I struggle with the same problems in my efforts. I will try to spread the word. I will check back in. I am not totally familiar with the site here but I think there is a forum that allows you to make an appeal for help. You probably know more about that than I do but just in case......wanted to mention it. I am grateful you took that cat. I hope that kitty will never feel pain or fear again. Please Don’t ever stop what you are doing.
We had all been waiting here for you and concerned. I am so sorry this kitty’s suffering is what brought you back to post but I hope you get all the help needed and more.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the lack of updates! It has just been insane here! Lots of ferals TNR'd. I took in a litter from one of my colonies and turns out they had panleuk. So now I can't have any new unvaccinated kittens in my house for a little bit. Which sucks. But I just keep on trapping!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice to see you back again.

:welcomeback1:

I can imagine summer must be insanely busy for you. Thanks for taking care of all of these cats and kittens. Looking forward to a more detailed update when you have a moment to catch your breath.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
This summer has been a whirlwind! We have TNR'd just under 100 cats! Woohoo! It has been a little rough... we had panleuk in our home so we are unable to take any unvaccinated kittens for a while. We decided to keep Feral Momma Mia's tuxedo kitten McCoy... he was the runt of 7 who crashed on us several times. He has some mobility issues that mimic a CH kitten... pretty sure not CH though since he walked normal before he crashed... I am thinking he had a seizure or a stroke like event that left some neurological damage... anyway... I am VERY attached and he is staying here... I want to change his name though. We have raised enough for Winslow's leg amputation so we are working on scheduling that soon!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you are exhausted! But...thousands and THOUSANDS of unwanted, feral kittens now avoided! MY HERO!

I'm tickled that McCoy is going to be yours now. He needed a home where his difference would make no difference, and am thrilled that Winslow will do well!

M Thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know you are exhausted! But...thousands and THOUSANDS of unwanted, feral kittens now avoided! MY HERO!

I'm tickled that McCoy is going to be yours now. He needed a home where his difference would make no difference, and am thrilled that Winslow will do well!

How do you rehome these cats/kittens? The website www.homelesspetclubs.org is excellent start for getting the county schools involved in adoptions, rescues, etc. It brings children and adults in the community together for a really worthy cause.