Widget needs a new home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few times. He gave her a pretty good puncture wound on the side of her face last week. That is what sorta forced our (hubby and mine) hand. Previous there have been scratches around her face and head none as deep as this one. I could not imagine coming home and finding Pixel seriously hurt.

Most the time however, its just loud, serious screeching by Pixel before I can separate them. He had me in tears tonight because he pinned her down while I ran for the water sprayer and even with spraying he did not want to let go. It's not that I don't love him, its just I cannot stand to see him hurt Pixel anymore!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittee

No need to be rude to me when I'm trying to do the best I can with my current situation for the betterment of both cats.
Again my apologies for trying to find him a suitable home here where he would be more comfortable. I've been his "mommie" for almost 7 years now. I certainly don't need your criticism.
There is a difference between criticism and being rude. I saw a criticism. I did not see anyone "blasting" you. Keep in mind that this is a public forum, and others are free to opine on your posts- whether or not others' opinions coincide with your own.

That being said, I disagree that your decision is what is best for both cats. If the well-being of both cats were your main concern... it would make more sense to adopt out the cat who is younger and friendlier and better able to adjust to change. Pixel has a better chance of being happy in another home than Widget does. Your older, less friendly cat will be more difficult to adopt out and the change will probably be more difficult on him (since he already has issues).

From one of your earlier posts, I got the impression that you prefer to keep Pixel and give away Widget because you prefer Pixel's "luv a bug" behavior.

I feel for Widget. It's not his fault he has issues, and he can probably sense that you prefer Pixel. I hope you can find a good home for him, and I hope he adjusts quickly!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll have to consider that not many people want an only cat.

Widget has only known you all his life, it will be hard on him to leave you....if he even adjusts at all (some bottle babies literally just curl up & die).

Look carefully into homes, make sure they're willing to deal with the possiblity that he will not adjust well.

Expect it to take 6-12 months to place him, there are so many other cats out there who will be killed if someone doesn't adopt them.

I speak from experience of volunteering for only 3 years. Hopefully you can come to some solution......I've still got Ophelia Rose....she's put stitches in several of the cats multiple times(even in Squishy who has only been here 3 months now) & there are still fights. They aren't particularly happy, but it's better than euthanized & no one else wants a "problem kitty" any more than I do!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how tough that decision is. I went through the same thing a few years ago with a kitty we had named Milo...he would viciously attack Spyder and this went on for over a year. We had tried many different things and had vet checks to no avail. The violence from Milo kept escalating. We had to rehome him because it was what was best for both of them.

Anyone here who can put kittee down for making such a heart wrenching decision should be ashamed of yourself! This is not a decision one takes lightly. She has said she has tried various avenues to resolve the issue and nothing has worked, and this has been going on for 2 years.

I can't see where keeping your cats in such a state of agitation and violence is good for them.

I think kittee is making the right decision for what is best for her kitties situation.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stormy

[/b][/i]Anyone here who can put kittee down for making such a heart wrenching decision should be ashamed of yourself! This is not a decision one takes lightly. She has said she has tried various avenues to resolve the issue and nothing has worked, and this has been going on for 2 years.

I can't see where keeping your cats in such a state of agitation and violence is good for them.
I don't see the put-downs you are referring to. No one has said it's an easy decision, and no one has told her to keep her cats in a state of agitation and violence.

The issue here is that she is giving up Widget, who has aggression issues, and might have a difficult time adjusting to a new home. The points that I am trying to make have nothing to do with Kittee's character. They are as follows:

1. In general, people look for younger, friendlier cats like Pixel.

I'm sure that either cat would be happy to stay with Kittee- she's who they love.

2. But I think that of the two cats, Widget would be the least happy to leave Kittee's side. Think about it-he now has to share his territory and his person, and is not coping well with the change (even 2 years later!). It's almost certain that he will not cope well if he is placed in a completely new environment. Whereas the cat without aggression is less likely to suffer emotional trauma.

I really hope that this constructive criticism is not misconstrued as a put-down. I am disagreeing with the OP, not offending her!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My general feeling is that Widget will not adjust to a new home. I realize he's less friendly, but he's also less adoptable & less likely to survive if re-homed.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Since you had him first...and he was your bottle baby, why not try finding a new home for the 'new' cat? I mean...he was there first! Poor klittle guy....if I didn't already have my three girls, I'd meet you in Asheville and bring him home with me!
Originally Posted by Going Nova

There is a difference between criticism and being rude. I saw a criticism. I did not see anyone "blasting" you. Keep in mind that this is a public forum, and others are free to opine on your posts- whether or not others' opinions coincide with your own.

That being said, I disagree that your decision is what is best for both cats. If the well-being of both cats were your main concern... it would make more sense to adopt out the cat who is younger and friendlier and better able to adjust to change. Pixel has a better chance of being happy in another home than Widget does. Your older, less friendly cat will be more difficult to adopt out and the change will probably be more difficult on him (since he already has issues).

From one of your earlier posts, I got the impression that you prefer to keep Pixel and give away Widget because you prefer Pixel's "luv a bug" behavior.

I feel for Widget. It's not his fault he has issues, and he can probably sense that you prefer Pixel. I hope you can find a good home for him, and I hope he adjusts quickly!
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My general feeling is that Widget will not adjust to a new home. I realize he's less friendly, but he's also less adoptable & less likely to survive if re-homed.

kelicat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I don't see the put-downs you are referring to. No one has said it's an easy decision, and no one has told her to keep her cats in a state of agitation and violence.

The issue here is that she is giving up Widget, who has aggression issues, and might have a difficult time adjusting to a new home. The points that I am trying to make have nothing to do with Kittee's character. They are as follows:

1. In general, people look for younger, friendlier cats like Pixel.

I'm sure that either cat would be happy to stay with Kittee- she's who they love.

2. But I think that of the two cats, Widget would be the least happy to leave Kittee's side. Think about it-he now has to share his territory and his person, and is not coping well with the change (even 2 years later!). It's almost certain that he will not cope well if he is placed in a completely new environment. Whereas the cat without aggression is less likely to suffer emotional trauma.

I really hope that this constructive criticism is not misconstrued as a put-down. I am disagreeing with the OP, not offending her!
I agree... and with everyone saying the same thing. I DO understand that we don't live in Never Never Land with a fairy tale ending behing every door, sometimes there are tough decisions to be made, and not everyone/everything can get along. However Widget is 7 years old. He's now considered a senior by most standards. He's spent his entire life with the OP and her environment, but now is going to be uprooted. Why should it be him rather then newer cat? Because she was a present and she's friendly? I'm just concerned with his adoptability and best interests. Anyone who gets him will probably be in the same boat as the OP, so what happens to him if they want to get another cat a few years down the line also?

I'm in northern OH, otherwise I'd pick him up and work with him in a heartbeat.... I always have a soft spot for the older kids :-)

The choice is utimetely the OP, and I do wish her the very best in her decision for Widget and her younger cat. I just disagree with her reasoning regardless.

Once again, best wishes, I do hope the OP is able to place him locally with someone she knows well, hopefully.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took in a bottle raised cat a few years older then the OP's cat. The original owner had her since she was 4 weeks old and was just the most loving sweetest thing. She has been with me for a year and 2 months and I have yet to touch her. I can't get anywhere near her without her lunging and attacking with paws (no claws but she has a hard swat) and teeth. I dread the day that she needs to see a vet lol. But this is what happens when you uproot bottle babies from the only person and home they know.

Widget is fully and completely bonded to you as it's mother. Pixel is not. This cat will not make it in a new home. They just can't handle the change from the only thing they ever know. They aren't like people who are moving, he doesn't know any different. I feel very badly for this poor kitty. I hope you keep up with the people who adopt him from you. DO NOT take him to a shelter, this cat will curl up and die as mentioned previously. Make sure you help the new owners in working with him.

PS My cat Kinks will groom all over Da-Ku and then suddenly bite down and swat her claws at him, pounce on him, pin him, whack up, any of the above. My other two Bowie and Noira will stalk and tackle each other out of nowhere and one always screams bloody murder and runs off. Occasionally there is a scratch on their cheek or nose where they got swatted by each other.... that is just what they do. They are cats, one is always going to be alpha.

Maybe you should just let your two duke it out and prove who is alpha once and for all. Don't stop the pinning and swatting, let them determine who is alpha without any interuptions.

siobhan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I too am on Widget's side. Bottle babies- and I have raised a few- are special creatures and really need to be with the person who raised them. It is not fair to them - especially after all this time - for him to leave and the "new" kitty to stay. That is I am sorry to say - and I am not being critical (Just wondering if you have thought it out?) - not at all healthy for Widget who can become ill (there are studies in several vet journals that show this). Yours is the ONLY home Widget has ever known and you said yourself the other cat can get along with other cats and is more stable.

I would hope it is not based on personality. You do not get rid of a child who has these issues, same goes for cats or any other pets for that matter. At least that is what I am being and was taught. Have you tried Widget with cats other than the new kitty? Have you introduced them the proper way - maybe go back and do it again and see if that works before trying few and different meds. There are so many options here and you have only mentioned a few. There are at least 10-12 I can think of left.

You always have a special bond with a bottle baby and they need that protection. So , please for Widget's sake, I hope you will rethink your position. If not, please find her a place where they know something about bottle babies. Call vets in your area and see if they can find a good home but I really think you can find a way - especially since you want other cats. Why give one you love up? I'm sorry but your logic does not quite follow - I do know you ,mean well but I just want you to know there are many more alternatives available to your family - and your family includes Widget. She will be be so hurt by this- especially if she had a difficult time coping with a new cat. I imagine a new home. My heart breaks for Widget!