Why Would You Do That!?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
(Please delete/move if necessary)

Took one of my cats to the vets today because she kept on vomiting. But that’s not the whole point of this story.

At the end of the visit the receptionist was making small talk by asking what was wrong with my cat. I told her what was going on and on a side note I said I was getting frustrated because the carpet in my room was disgusting because of all the frequent vomiting that happened in there. She admitted that she had the same problem with her cat and carpets, so when she got new carpets she tossed him outside.

Instead of trying to find out why he was getting sick and fixing it, she tossed him outside because she didn’t want her carpets ruined.

Sorry had to vent.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
WHAT!!! This was the receptionist AT THE VET’S OFFICE??? I would not have been able to stop myself from challenging her. Really. And I would have gone home and gotten more and more angry, called the office, asked to speak to the vet and told him or her. This person, guilty of animal cruelty, is working in a vet’s office. That is simply unacceptable. This person should not be allowed to have animals.
:cloudy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WHAT!!! This was the receptionist AT THE VET’S OFFICE??? I would not have been able to stop myself from challenging her. Really. And I would have gone home and gotten more and more angry, called the office, asked to speak to the vet and told him or her. This person, guilty of animal cruelty, is working in a vet’s office. That is simply unacceptable. This person should not be allowed to have animals.
:cloudy:
Oh I agree. By the time I got home my vet closed so I have to wait until Monday, but sadly:

1) I don’t know who she was because they seem to have new reps every time I come in.

2) Apparently the cat is still alive, stopped vomiting, and “loves his heated cat house”.

3) where I live animal cruelty cases are kind of...yeah good luck filing a case unless you had video proof of some man beating a dog to death or something (my neighbor across the street has this little yapper tied to a tree outside with a tumor the size of its head on its leg. I’ve called multiple times).

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I volunteer at an animal sanctuary. Most of the animals are there as a result of abuse or neglect. Nothing happens to the abusers, of course, but the animals have a chance to recover in a beautiful farm setting—no cages—and most learn to trust again. But when you see how they come in, you wonder about the human race.

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
See, here in Ohio we have a strict animal abuse law, called Goddards Law.

Makes animal abuse a felony.

I wish more places had a law like that. I wouldn't dream of throwing my cat out just to save a carpet. That's really the underlying problem...people care more about things than they do lives.

I remember a long time ago with my old cat, she used to pee on this one pair of pants I had..don't know if she just didn't like the material or what. She peed on than so many times I couldn't get the smell out, so I tossed the pants in the trash. I really liked those pants, but I loved my cat more.

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe that cats should be kept indoors where they are safe from cars and predators (both animal and human). My cats are strictly indoors. However, in the receptionist's case, you can't really prove that animal abuse is occurring, since people are allowed to keep their cats outside, and she is providing reasonable accommodations (the heated cat house). If you were to complain, most likely nothing would be done.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's the fact that the cat was sick, and she did nothing about it, that makes this abusive (though I certainly agree about the need to make cats indoor-only). While there may be nothing you can do to get the police involved I rather suspect that the vet will be appalled to find out that he has an employee with this little empathy for her own pet.

Margret