Why won't my vet allow me to use injectable steroids

KittyMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 13 year old cat, Murphy, had an issue with vomiting, burping, retching and then not eating. Had xrays that showed gas throughout the entire GI system but nothing else out of the ordinary. Had an ultrasound done, which also did not reveal anything concerning. Labs all normal. We did not want to put him through the ordeal of endoscopy which may or may not even be able to figure out what's wrong and would be extremely expensive. We had him admitted to local Vet Hospital where they tried different meds and finally decided to try him on steroids. That seemed to do the trick. He started eating again and was not throwing up. They discharged him with liquid steroids to be given twice a day, but Murphy is difficult to give meds to. Even the nurse at the vet noted this. We are waiting for compounding pharmacy to make a transdermal for us, which the vet said is not the ideal route, but better than nothing. Since the vet was able to give him a steroid injection that would last 24 hours, and I would feel comfortable giving him an injectable (especially since it would be once a day and not twice a day trying to shove medicine down his throat) but they said they could not do this. Something about the steroid being able to be used by adults, which makes no sense since many medicines given animals are the same ones people get, so what's the problem? Does anyone have any insight into this?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If I'm understanding it right, the vet's worried the injectable steroids could get misused if someone decides they are going to use it to get a high or something, some people will break into houses when they know there's controlled substances in the house, to steal them, this might be what the vet is worried about.

I know about houses being broken into cause we have a lot of drug users where I live, and if they see anything that they think might give them a high (or can sell to get money to buy stuff to give them a high), they will do so

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My aged cat takes steroids in pill form quite easily via pill pockets, if that tidbit of info helps you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet doesn't like giving injectable steroids because there have been some serious side effects reported. I used to take my asthmatic kitty in to get a shot every 8-9 months, but now we have to do pills.

Prednisolone can be compounded into a treat. My boy likes the liver flavor, but they have chicken, beef, salmon, and bacon flavors. You might ask your vet to find out about them. It really makes pilling a cat sooooo much easier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has to do with regulations on varying substances and how they are administered. I know that I can only get 14 doses of Buprenorphine (opioid pain med) - each in a separate oral syringe of 0.1ml each (very, very, very small amount) at a time from the vet. It is supposed to be administered twice daily, so I must go back to the vet weekly for more. Not the same, but an example.

There are longer term injectable steroids, but they come with a greater risk. I suggest you try oral versions in whatever manner you can - which can be many versions and treat tricks before you find something that works - WHILE asking the vet what else needs to be done to see if the underlying cause can be found and treated.

You may or may not find some solutions in these articles, but I highly advise you to try all of them before saying you cannot administer meds to him orally.
Pilling Cats: Must-Know Tips For Hiding Pills - TheCatSite
How Can I Give A Pill To My Cat? [Stress-Free Techniques] - TheCatSite

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get all Betty's meds either compounded as capsules or pills. If pills, like her prednisilone, I would pack those into capsules. Then I would dip them in Hills A/D and drop them on the carpet for her per this method. Couldn't be any easier. She takes three capsules in the morning and three in the evening. She takes them eagerly and purrs the whole time. In fact, it's time for her dinner meds now. After she takes her meds, she may nibble some at dinner, and then she will collect booty and chest rubs. If that doesn't make meds time enjoyable and rewarding for both of us, I don't know what could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I'm understanding it right, the vet's worried the injectable steroids could get misused if someone decides they are going to use it to get a high or something, some people will break into houses when they know there's controlled substances in the house, to steal them, this might be what the vet is worried about.

I know about houses being broken into cause we have a lot of drug users where I live, and if they see anything that they think might give them a high (or can sell to get money to buy stuff to give them a high), they will do so
That's what it sounded like they were saying, but it's prednisolone which isn't even a controlled substance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyMom17

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get all Betty's meds either compounded as capsules or pills. If pills, like her prednisilone, I would pack those into capsules. Then I would dip them in Hills A/D and drop them on the carpet for her per this method. Couldn't be any easier. She takes three capsules in the morning and three in the evening. She takes them eagerly and purrs the whole time. In fact, it's time for her dinner meds now. After she takes her meds, she may nibble some at dinner, and then she will collect booty and chest rubs. If that doesn't make meds time enjoyable and rewarding for both of us, I don't know what could.
That sounds like the ideal situation but right now, just out of the hospital, Murphy isn't wanting to eat much, even his favorite treat. The vet said these pills are somewhat bitter and are usually detected by a cat in the food and avoided. We had that experience with Murphy before with other meds. If there is a med in the food, even if well disguised, he won't touch it.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a finicky cat (pretty ambivalent about food/treats) who I pilled with prednisolone every day for over a year. She also had to take ursodiol which was oddly shaped. It can be done. We got it down to: open mouth, toss in, flush with a tiny bit of water (which had meds in it sometimes). You could try another vet, but if same answer, there are ways - even with a kitty with a weak appetite. 🙂

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like the ideal situation but right now, just out of the hospital, Murphy isn't wanting to eat much, even his favorite treat. The vet said these pills are somewhat bitter and are usually detected by a cat in the food and avoided. We had that experience with Murphy before with other meds. If there is a med in the food, even if well disguised, he won't touch it.
If he won't take his pill form meds because of the taste you can get these gel capsuls and put the pill inside. They have no taste. They come in different sizes
000, 00, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
5 being smallest, 000 being largest

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGMQ6FL3/?tag=thecatsite

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pills are packed into capsules. The capsules are dipped into a highly appealing food that I call Betty's "cake frosting" because she'll eat just about anything that's coated in it. No pills or capsules go into her meals. But often she needs those meds to eat. For that reason, I take a small amount of the A/D and put it on top of her food like a starter strip. Sometimes that's all she eats until those meds kick in. But it's better than nothing. Give the video a watch and ask your vet for a can of Hills A/D. You can get empty size five capsules from Amazon.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you might find different protocols for Prednisolone in oral vs. injectable form. No reason you can't ask your vet to explain it all to you. It might likely be an issue with giving an injectable form as that requires injecting IM - intramuscularly. It isn't done subcutaneously, which is just injecting into the loose skin tissue.

Tbh, I truly have found many of the suggested approaches to be ineffective with Feeby, including Hill's A/D, as well as the use of capsules, but they have worked for others. So, you have to try them first to find that out.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The injectable steroids are not anabolic steroids. Anabolic steroids like Winstrol V is what is abused, not dexamethasone. That said there are more side effects with injectable. There is a combo of depo Medrol and dexamethasone that was used at the cat hospital and lasted a few weeks to a month. We would send the injection home with people for their cats. Usually as a last resort.