Why Wet Food and Why Grain Free Dry?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

No worries, this is exactly what I was looking for. Interesting that, as ubiquitous as the Feline Herpes Virus is, this isn't more common knowledge. Everyone who's cat has regular flare ups should have received a warning from their vets about feeding grains. I know they don't get any nutritional training, but this is a virus and falls totally under their purview. *shakes head*

If arginine is something cats need, it's already (hopefully) in canned foods and, for sure, in raw foods.
Any one with basic Nutrition knowledge knows what and how much meats contain...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Any one with basic Nutrition knowledge knows what and how much meats contain...
*chuckle* Thanks for the laugh!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

*chuckle* Thanks for the laugh!
well it was taught in my elementary classes( ie grade 5 or 6 ) so it is basic info
... a conventional vet many ,many years ago told me about it and herpes

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick anecdote - six years ago I adopted a senior cat who just couldn't be satisfied. She never slept, and all she did was meow to be fed. I think I was feeding Fancy Feast (what she got at the shelter) and maybe Iams dry. I decided maybe she needed a better diet so I went out and bought some higher quality canned food (Wellness, Merrick, etc.) After her first can, she curled up and went to sleep! I also added Taste of the Wild dry, which is very popular flavor-wise.

Since then I've adopted 4 other cats, one of which was in pretty bad shape coat-wise and his eye always was runny. Now they all have amazing coats, are never sick, and have hardly any solid waste in their litter boxes.

Oh, and that first cat? She just turned 20!!!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well apparently my VET didn't remember that small fact today! Much of what I've learned has been through the Feline Herpes group on yahoo. We've had extensive conversations about arginine and lysine/grain foods and grain free foods.

Like I told my vet today that when Hannah's healthy and doing well, we're not so picky about giving her a treat containing grains. However, she's not at optimum health at the moment, which is why she was at the vet, so we're much more picky. We took our own treats for her anyway.

They were very impressed with her behavior and "how well we've done with her" since she was so sick when we first adopted her. The first question the vet asked was, "Did she have any URIs when she was young?" I was like, "Ummm....yes. She had cat flu, calicivirus, and almost died. She spent the first week of her life at the vet's getting sub-q antibiotics and fluids. She also had fleas, mites, and giardia, was 7 mos old and weighed 4 lbs." Thank God for this site, the yahoo group, and the resources available on the internet!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Well apparently my VET didn't remember that small fact today! Much of what I've learned has been through the Feline Herpes group on yahoo. We've had extensive conversations about arginine and lysine/grain foods and grain free foods.

Like I told my vet today that when Hannah's healthy and doing well, we're not so picky about giving her a treat containing grains. However, she's not at optimum health at the moment, which is why she was at the vet, so we're much more picky. We took our own treats for her anyway.

They were very impressed with her behavior and "how well we've done with her" since she was so sick when we first adopted her. The first question the vet asked was, "Did she have any URIs when she was young?" I was like, "Ummm....yes. She had cat flu, calicivirus, and almost died. She spent the first week of her life at the vet's getting sub-q antibiotics and fluids. She also had fleas, mites, and giardia, was 7 mos old and weighed 4 lbs." Thank God for this site, the yahoo group, and the resources available on the internet!
I hope Hannah feels better soon, Stephanietx! It's no fun when our babies are sick.