Why She Keep Peeing Just Outside The Litter Box?

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have 5 cats and never had litter boxes problems before, However recently our 3 years old female cat Rose suddenly start to pee just outside the litter box.

I know there are many articles online talking about litter box problems, but I could not figure out why. She never had this problem before and she is perfectly healthy, confirmed by the vet.

she is the top cat in our house, at least she think she is, occasionally we saw she bully other cats.

At first we noticed she pee just in front of one of the litter box, then gradually she only pee there, it made the whole house stinks

after that, we isolated her from all the other cats, but she still pee just outside this new box. we tried everything, changed to a big new box, thorough clean and mark the spot she pee a few times per day, but nothing worked.

she only poo inside the litter box, but she just pee in front the box and made a huge mess

she used to be my favourite cat, but if she keep doing this, she is soon become my least favourite cat

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that, especially since this is a new behavior, it would be best to check with a vet. It’s always better to rule out any potential medical causes before trying to work on behavior. This article discusses more about how medical conditions can cause inappropriate elimination: When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Put some cardboard in front and a round the cat box underneath it...my girl was tinkling in front of cat box..she stopped.

What kind of cat litter are you using?

How many litter boxes are there? My girl honeybee prefers to poop in one box and per in another. She also is head households so she pees in the box the other cat uses as a show of dominance I think...we have 3 cat boxes and 2 cats.

catlitterguru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any chance she missed and the pee ended up outside the box? Anything changed around the house? Any change in the cats relationship?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I agree with everyone else. Get her to the vet. If the vet says everything is fine ... then I would get her a new style of litter box & litter. Sometimes cats experience pain from a UTI when they pee ... and they associate it with the litter box or litter. It is elimination game .... you can get her to stop. It just takes time. :vibes:
:hangin:

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting. I'm dealing with the same issue, but it's not consistent. I think it's because my cat is quite long and goes in random spots in the box. When he positions himself near the rear, he's missing. Any suggestions for a longer litter box? I already have the biggest one they sell at Walmart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the suggestion, everyone.

I do not think it is healthy related, as our vet did not find anything wrong with her..

Plus, if she has urinary tract infection, she should have difficulty to pee. In her case, she does not show the signs, she always pee a lot in one go, no hesitation at all.

I am 100% sure she is not miss the litter box, as she pee 100% outside the box, nothing in the box

and once she chose the spot to pee outside the box, normally around a few inches away from the box, she will always pee there.

if it is medical problem, she should associate pain with this new spot, but she never change spot.

finally, there is nothing changed in the household, only thing is, we isolated her from other cats once we had this problem, now she stay in a spare room herself, and she chose a spot in front of the litter box, pee there a few time everyday